• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Clotted/ Double Devon Cream in Vancouver

You can usually find it in the dairy case either near the whipping cream or near the cream cheese - always on the top shelf in a tiny bottle with a blue label. Extortionately pricey, tho. I've seen it at Safeway, Urban Fare, Whole Foods and Marketplace IGA stores.

You can also find it at any British specialty store.

Farmhouse Cheese makes a creme fraiche that is a fabulous substitute, if you can get your hands on that, but it's harder to find in the summertime because there is lower milk production and she reserves the bulk of that for cheeses.

I'm intrigued by the idea of making my own...must search out the method!

Edited by Badiane (log)

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Fool proof creme fraiche is 3:1 heavy cream to buttermilk (make sure you use the freshest buttermilk). Mix well, cover and let stand at room temperature or slightly above for 20 hours. Mix well, and refrigerate. Whipped with a little sugar and vanilla you're set for your scones.

-- Matt.

Preparing clotted cream is not all that difficult but it does take time.

If you have a good source for NON ultra-pasteurized/homogenized cream then you are in business.

You don't have to hover over the cream for the entire time but a constant source of low temp heat is essential.

My demonstration is on a gas cooktop with a copper slab to keep from having a hot spot worked well for me but I have also used an induction burner and a similar cast iron (enameled) vessel. (Gave that one to my daughter as it matches the colors in her kitchen.)

There are several things that can be substituted. Trader Joe's Greek style yogurt (blue label) is a very nice substitute as it has less "tang" than other brands and is quite dense. With just a small amount of sweetener, such as honey, agave syrup or similar, it goes perfectly with scones, biscuits, crumpets, etc.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett