• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Black Forest Cupcakes

EllenC

A friend from work is putting together a birthday party for his wife and I agreed to do some cupcakes for the party. One of the things I want to do is Black Forest cupcakes. I have a terrific devil's food cake recipe and some amazing sour cherries in the freezer (right next to the Amaretto). I was thinking that I would thicken the cherries a bit with a taste of Amaretto and then encase globs of them in chocolate. Drop those filled balls into the middle of the cupcake and bake. Then frost with a stabilized whipped cream.

Does anyone see a problem with this plan?

Thanks for the help!

Ellen

Not sure, but I think cherries might drop to the bottom of the cupcake.

Not sure what you mean by encasing globs in chocolate, but dipping wet cherries in melted chocolate may cause the chocolate to seize. I would probably skip this step.

Edited by rickster (log)

Sorry! I should be more clear.

I would freeze the cherries and then dip them in chocolate. Freeze again before setting them in the cupcakes. That would give a gooey chocolate layer to the inside. (I hope!)

Cherries dropping to the bottom of the cupcake is a problem I agree. I am hoping that if I set them on top of the batter they will drop slowly enough and the batter will rise up around them so they end up in the middle. I thought I had seen a recipe - of course I can't find it now - that had you set Hershey Kisses on top of unbaked cupcakes to make a kind of poor man's molten lava cake? I was hoping for that type of effect...

What about a cherry ganache filling in the devil's food cupcake (hollow out a bit of the cupcake, fill with the ganache), top the hole with a brandied cherry and swirl the top with kirsh-flavored whipped cream....

those hershey kiss type things are usually made by adding the kisses at the end - like the pb cookies - or part way through the baking. i'd make a ganache to use as a filling after they are baked. scoop out a bit of the center, pipe whipped ganache in, stick cherry in the center of ganache, top with ganache, and frost with your whipped cream. i've made a chocolate cherry cupcake in the past that was really good. i think it was a nigella lawson recipe. i can try to find it if you want.

Edited by Marmish (log)

I'm not a baking expert, so I won't comment on the technique, but I know that Crumbs Bake Shop (the massively popular NYC cupcakery) makes a pretty popular Black Forest variety. Take a look at the flavor combo and the look if you get a chance--it might help you out.

Edmund Mokhtarian

Food and Wine Blogger

http://www.thefoodbuster.com

I make these with a cake mix and canned pie filling for my best friend's birthday every year. She loves them and won't let me "go to all the trouble" of doing them by hand. The cherries don't sink too badly unless you're making a really huge cupcake. I just portion out the batter into the cupcake cups then add a spoonful of filling into the middle of each one and bake. We sometimes put chocolate chips in for a little extra chocolate flavor. I don't see why you'd need to encase the cherries in chocolate at all.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I was thinking the extra chocolate for the flavor and hopefully to get them to sink less. The cupcakes will be normal size. Maybe I will just put a thin layer of ganache on top before I frost with whipped cream. I am baking tonight!