• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lower Slaughter Choice

We are going to stay with friends in the Cotswolds with our new baby. The have volunteered to babysit one evening, to give us a chance to eat somewhere good. They have suggested Lower Slaghter Manor or Lords of the Manor. In the past we'd have got to try both, and choosing one seems difficult. The Lords menu is more difficult to grasp, as it is festooned with the names of rare breeds and producers, but both look nice. Any views?

Catherine

I love both hotels, wonderful location The Slaughters, (upper and lower) and we used to weekend for years in the Cotswolds, we were smitten.

For some reason, (perhaps reaching saturation point)we stopped going.

Had some good meals at Lords of Manor but not recently. I tried to book a midweek lazy lunch a short while back, but they don't open except for afternoon tea. Its perhaps a bit too far away for us for dinner as we would have to have an overnight stay and we currently prefer London as we can dine at two restaurants on our list over a weekend.

As I am working my way through the Michelin list my first choice would be Lords, and in the very near future I shall post a report up here.

Can't comment on Lower Slaughter Manor food wise, although I notice Welsh chef David Kelman used to work at Bodysgallen Hall, which I rate, and have been a number of times over the years so I have perhaps eaten his food in the past.

Be good to read your review on either one, but personally that Michelin star would swing it for me.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

I really like Lords of the Manor. We stay there quite regularly, and the food and atmosphere are excellent. It's a while since I was at Lower Slaughter Manor, and I wouldn't feel able to give a reliable comment on it. When I did stay and eat there (several years ago) it was good, but not (for me) quite as charming as LOTM. But I'm sure either would do you proud.

Thanks for these. What I take from this is that I'll try booking Lords first, but I shouldn't sweat it too much over the differences. Ideal!

Catherine