• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maine BBQ Challenge 2010 [PLAN]

johnnyd

Three years ago I attended the Maine BBQ Challenge in Eliot, Maine (5 miles from Kittery Mall Shops) and got an education in first class 'que.

I saw the serious look on these fellas faces - some had driven from Tennessee - and how seriously the Judges took their business.

Not only did I stuff my face with unbelievable slow-cooked meats, I took lots of great pictures and interviewed some passionate people.

Click HERE for my colorful report on the 2007 Challenge.

This year's Challenge will take place Saturday August 7th and Sunday August 8th.

100% of this year's Challenge proceeds (entry: $5) will benefit the The Raitt Homestead Farm Museum, a 501c3 non profit organization dedicated to educating future generations about farming history. 100% of the proceeds from the CMF/MGCB go to the restoration and preservation of the beautiful 33-acre farm. Located on Route 103 in Eliot it is only five miles from the Kittery Outlets and I-95.

Press Release and Information

Hosting Note: Click here for the guidelines under which this event is listed at the eGullet Forums

Edited by heidih
Add Host Note (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Now that I know... and, I just got back from Maine!

I'll never enter. Just like I am to chicken to enter big-time chili cook-offs.

I will plan to go to one of these next year. I will be catching trout and seafood in BC when this takes place this year.

One thing I noted was that most competitors have dunlop disease. Must be an occupational hazard!

The other thing I noticed from the 2007 pictures (and results of the competition), was a heavy, translucent looking glaze on the ribs cooked by Q Haven. That kind of heavy (and likely sugary sweet), coating isn't going to win any serious competition, as noted by the second day's results.

Easy for me to say... Must be pure jealousy. I am obviously not a serious Q guy; I am too skinny.

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...