• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

slow-cooker duck confit

Daniel Duane

Original poster here--having blown through all my confit in a week, now, I can report that it came out beautifully. Which is saying something, to my mind, given that I'd clearly overcooked it, by common standards. Eight hours, after all, at a "high" slow-cooker setting I've since learned to be around 240. I'm looking forward to trying again at the "low" setting, which I understand to be about 205, and perhaps I'll run a concurrent batch at 190, in the oven, in the interest of comparing the two.

i have a all clad slow cooker, and have confit'd both duck and turkey legs in it.

i used the warm setting (closest to 180 degrees) for 12 hours on the turkey legs, 8 hours on the duck legs. the low setting is still to hot.

the warm setting worked great!

Original poster here--having blown through all my confit in a week, now, I can report that it came out beautifully. Which is saying something, to my mind, given that I'd clearly overcooked it, by common standards. Eight hours, after all, at a "high" slow-cooker setting I've since learned to be around 240. I'm looking forward to trying again at the "low" setting, which I understand to be about 205, and perhaps I'll run a concurrent batch at 190, in the oven, in the interest of comparing the two.

Whatever temperatures you have observed are completely dependent on how much food was being cooked, and at what initial temp they were, since NO slow cookers have functional thermostats. The knob settings simply switch between several sets of heating elements. Unless some new product has just reached the market, that's how they all work. There are a couple of units which will switch to a "lower" setting once a preset time or temperature has been reached, but they don't maintain any desired temperature. I wish that wasn't true, but it is. Please don't quote temperatures unless you also state the model number of the cooker, the amount of food and liquid, and the initial temps of the materials. To prevent fires, most have a one-shot fuse which blows if they get too hot, and that fuse does not recycle.

Ray