• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jack in the Box

Chris Hennes

On 7/19/2016 at 9:04 AM, Toliver said:

Something new on the horizon at Jack in the Box:

Jack’s Brewhouse Bacon Burger (click)

No info from the "article" other than that it looks quite tasty. Not sure when it will debut...

The Brewhouse Bacon Burger was available at my local JIB, so I bought one.

Meh. I guess I should try another one. I was disappointed that the "Porter Ale Cheese Sauce" tasted nothing of beer. ¬¬

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I tried the Brewhouse Bacon Burger from Jack in the Box again this past weekend and once again, it was nothing to write home about, let alone post about on eGullet. :(

Meh. The bacon was nice...and then that was it. Couldn't discern either of the two sauces it was supposed to come with.

On the other hand...run...do not walk...to Jack in the Box and order their new Garlic Herb Fries (click)! They beat McDonald's to it.

I wanted to rip open the box they came in and lick the garlic greasiness off the cardboard. :o xD The take out bag I was given had a huge grease stain on it from the fries which alarmed me, at first.

The fries come in a closed box, just like their Panko Onion Rings :x And I'm thinking to myself, "What?...A closed box? Won't that make the french fries soggy?" 

Crispness is not the point with these fries. The greasy (in my mind I thought "buttery" so I could eat them without guilt xD) garlic herby magical stuff they put on the fries is most excellent. I was so happy I was eating them at home so I could use my fingers to get at every little garlicky crumb inside the box.

I just wish they came in a larger size (are you listening, Jack?).

By the way, Wendy's must be asleep at the wheel. Jack in the Box's new burgers are all square patties and Wendy's hasn't yelled "Copycat!" yet. ;)

edited to clarify

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 1

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Found out this morning that JIB's Garlic Fries are only going to be around for a limited time. :o

And, as with most OMG items, how OMG something is depends on the maker of said item. ¬¬ First time I had the garlic fries, they were OMG good. The maker used a ton of the butter garlic sauce, enough to paint the to-go bag with a huge grease stain.

The 2nd time I bought them...they were still good but not as great as the first time i had them. The maker from the 2nd time had a "restrained" hand when it came to the butter garlic sauce, so not so much OMG the 2nd time.

Buyer beware...:B

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

J-I-B has introduced "Brunch-fast", breakfast-ish items available throughout the day. 
You can see a little bit more about here on their web site (click).

The  Egg, Chicken, Bacon on an English Muffin looks quite tasty.

Tim Oliver

• 8 months later...

I can't find it on their corporate web site, but my area Jack in the Box restaurants are promoting a new "Cheddar Jack" burger. It has the usual lettuce and tomato fixin's on it but also comes with a couple thick slices of cheddar cheese. One slice of cheddar cheese on the bottom bun, topped by the burger OR chicken patty (you have a choice) and then another slice of cheddar cheese on top of the burger. When you get the burger, I don't know if they use a salamander-type machine to melt the cheddar, but it looks quite melted when you get the sandwich.

If you like real cheddar cheese on your burgers and not that fake "melty" cheese they use on everything these days, this burger is a winner. It's very cheese-y and I mean that in a good way. It also comes on a not-your-ordinary bun. 

Anyone else try it?

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Flipping thru my grocery circulars this week I came across a fold-out flyer for JITB's Food Truck Series.  Mostly the flyer is coupons for regular menu items but there's one coupon for a Food Truck Series combo meal for $5.  The front and back of the flyer introduce the FTS - three sandwiches on a 'new toasted baguette:' An Asian Fried Chicken sandwich with Gochujang mayo, a Prime Rib Cheesesteak with cheesy garlic sauce, and a Pork Belly BLT with tangy honey aoili.

I'm not falling for the 'prime rib' but I must admit the other two interest me.

Here's the web page; click on the items for more description.  Curiously they don't mention the special dressings online.

I swore off fast food when I retired in '05 and have reneged on that solemn vow less than a dozen times since then.  Que sera, sera.

Actually the "Prime Rib" sandwich sounds the best to me, the chicken sandwich doesn't interest me at all because of the Mayo and I don't like tomatoes so that leaves me with that one. I always like cheesesteak sandwiches anyway and was a cheesy garlic sauce it sounds yummy. Now we just had a Jack-in-the-Box around here I'd be all set.

• Like 2

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

The Asian Chicken sandwich was okay. It comes dressed with an asian-flavored (sesame oil, etc) cole slaw. If the sandwich had had more of the slaw I would have tried the sandwich again. I haven't tried the other two sandwiches, yet.

Tim Oliver

• 11 months later...

"Jack in the Box has mashed up two fast food classics into one crazy item"

Burger King gave the world Chicken Fries, Dunkin’ graced us with Donut Fries and now Jack in the Box has created Burger Dippers, which are cheeseburgers in fry form. If that sounds like something you’d enjoy, get in your car and head on over to Sacramento, California, where the new side is exclusively being tested.

From now until March 31, customers can get Burger Dippers a la carte for $2.50 per four-piece order or as part of the new $6 Munchie Meal with two tacos, curly fries and a drink. It doesn’t look like you get any sauces with these guys unless you ask though, so… why are they called “Dippers” when there’s nothing to dip them in?... 

According to the article, the reviews are mixed. They sound...interesting.

Are there any Sacramento eG'ers who'd like to take one for the team? :laugh:

Tim Oliver

• 1 year later...

"Jack in the Box just announced 2 new chicken sandwiches as last year's biggest fast-food battle heats up again"

Fast-food chain Jack in the Box is expanding its chicken menu with two new chicken sandwiches, the Cluck Sandwich and the Cluck Deluxe Sandwich.
The new rollout falls on the heels of last year's heated chicken sandwich battle between Popeyes and Chick-fil-A but comes before McDonald's new chicken sandwich that will be unveiled early 2021.
Jack in the Box's new sandwiches have ingredients like a mystery sauce, guacamole, and pickles.

It's funny but I can't see the word "Deluxe" without a "Beverly Hillbillies" translation of "DEE-lux". xD The DEElux version pictured in the article sure looks gussied up.

The sandwich has debuted in my area Jack in the Box restaurants but there hasn't been any TV commercials for it (yet). I think that's a little odd in terms of marketing.

Will give it a try next week...taking one for the team.:B

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

On 12/17/2020 at 11:59 AM, Toliver said:

"Jack in the Box just announced 2 new chicken sandwiches as last year's biggest fast-food battle heats up again"

It's funny but I can't see the word "Deluxe" without a "Beverly Hillbillies" translation of "DEE-lux". xD The DEElux version pictured in the article sure looks gussied up.

The sandwich has debuted in my area Jack in the Box restaurants but there hasn't been any TV commercials for it (yet). I think that's a little odd in terms of marketing.

Will give it a try next week...taking one for the team.:B

File this under be careful what you wish for...

This past weekend I was able to try the DEE-Luxe (Jed Clampett is in my ear) version of the sandwich and it was a mess.

It was a sandwich that didn't know what it wanted to be when it grew up. More on that later...

The regular version (which I actually tried today thanks to a co-worker who was going there for lunch) is a simple crispy chicken sandwich with dill pickles and their "mystery" sauce. The sauce looks like Thousand Island Dressing without the pickle relish. All served in a hamburger bun. Yes, just a regular hamburger bun.

C'mon, Jack! You're not even trying anymore.

The regular version of the "Cluck" sandwich is a poor knockoff of the Popeye's Chicken Sandwich, which is the best crispy chicken sandwich on the market today. The Jack in the Box version is smaller, less crispy breaded chicken "breast" (I am going to assume that until I see otherwise), in a plain hamburger bun ¬¬. It also copies Popeye's in that it's served in a foil-ish bag which, with the Popeye's version, helps to keep the bun steamy and soft to contrast to the very crispy chicken cutlet.

Jack should be embarrassed to be serving their Cluck Chicken Sandwich.

But wait, there's the DEE-luxe version of the sandwich. What differentiates the DEE-luxe version from the regular chicken sandwich is that the DEE-luxe version is dressed. It has lettuce and tomatoes in addition to the dill pickles. It has the "mystery" sauce, plus, it has a blob of "guacamole" on it, as well. The "guacamole" has a little kick to it. Which reminds me that a co-worker bemoaned the menu from Jack in the Box: "Does everything have to be spicy?" Apparently it does, if you're the DEE-luxe Chicken Cluck Sandwich.

It also turns out that all those added condiments (lettuce and tomatoes and "guacamole") serve to make the crispy chicken sandwich less crispy! The you're just eating a regular chicken breast sandwich and why bother?

Pass on both versions. Buh-bye, Jack.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

Interesting to see the recent Jack in the Box TV commercials advertising their new and improved chicken sandwiches...so what is new?

They've added "liquidy" cheese (allegedly real cheddar cheese) to the sandwiches (on both the regular and the Deluxe versions).

Not sure if it's enough to save a bad chicken sandwich. ¬¬

Tim Oliver

On 7/21/2010 at 11:46 AM, kalypso said:

the just fried taco. This might be an item that you need to have grown up eating (especially at 2 am after a lot of alcohol)to really "get".

Just seeing this topic.  

And yes, this was our first exposure to tacos - us bunch of jews and italians "coming of age" on Long Island in the early 70s.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?