• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jack in the Box

Chris Hennes

Haven't been there in a long while, but it's the one place I go to if I have a fast food craving, no other comes close to crap greasy food with a high dose of guilty pleasure :-)

If I go I get the bacon ultimate cheeseburger with fries, a large order of poppers and a couple of their bbq and sweet/sour sauces. I skip the drink and take stuff home, enjoy it with a beer instead. The big sirloin burger is pretty good too. Their fries are a soggy mess, which adds to the guilt part :laugh:

A burger needs to have bacon on it (so In'n Out is out) and be floppy, greasy, and lie in my stomach like a rock :cool:

Well, a fast food burger.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

• 1 month later...

JITB takes me back to childhood. Anyone remember frings? That was a paper bag with a divider i n it that had fries on one side and onion rings on the other. That and a bonus jack was the best. To this day every now and again I get the junk urge and go get 2 taco's and a small regular hamburger with secret sauce. They don't put the secret sauce on the burgers anymore and you have to ask for it. I would seriously kill for the recipe for the ss.

I went to a JITB last week after a flight home. I was really craving the tacos because I just wanted something small and greasy but alas, they were gone! When did they disappear?

NO!!! The greasy little ones that are mostly TVP and spices??? My poor sister will have to be given smelling salts. When she returns to visit the U.S. that is her standard childhood memory.

Tacos are still on the JITB menu here in central California. Two for 99 cents.

They had Frings return to the menu here a couple years ago but they're gone again. I liked them because JITB fries really aren't the best and sometimes you like a little bit of something different. It's not like their onion rings are anything to write home about either. But it's nice to be able to switch things up once in awhile.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 9 months later...

I had my first one this past Saturday, was really good! Vanilla shake, hit of smokey sweet bacon to it. Lady at the register said I was the first one to order it at that store. One thing, the whipped cream on it makes it really rich, almost overwhelming. Second one I had, got it without whipped cream and it was cold baconey sweet perfection! They use the Torani Bacon flavored syrup in it.

SBoy -- totally agree on that chicken sandwich.

As a previous poster stated -- I also would swing by with friends around 2 am on Saturday night (actually Sunday Morning) for our fix of the Super tacos (don't think they have those anymore). With some really spicy "almost-meat" and greasy beyond belief....along with some great onion rings. Of course, now thinking about it, those onion rings were nasty and bitter. I do, however, indulge once in a great while on those 2 x 99cent tacos....always making sure I have some Tums in my pocket...lol.

As we were in college and low on money...if we were really low on money, there was the old ButterKrust cental Bakery nearby and we would drive behind to the dock....a guy would walk over with an unsliced loaf of bread in a white paper sack all for 25 cents and still all nice and warm. We'd fill up on that and some milk before crashing. Really crazy days but many unforgettable moments. :rolleyes:

BTW, this is a pic I found of the bakery. The fresh loaves cooling on conveyor belts sat just inside that very long row of windows and could be seen by everyone as you drove by, not to mention the fresh baked bread smell wafting from the huge building.

butterkrust.jpg

Edited by lochaven (log)

And I want a table for two and a chicken for eight o'clock.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've only been to JITB a couple of times, and the last time I visited, it was to get an iced tea with which to take some medication. Looking at their menu, I decided to grab another item as well. Lo and behold, I received a senior discount! Now, I don't know about other fast food joints and their discount policy, but I sure appreciate Jack's policy. So, if you're a senior and decide to visit JITB, check for a discount.

... Shel

• 7 months later...

JIB has introduced a new specialty burger: The Bacon Insider

The hamburger patty has bacon mixed in with the beef, it has strips of bacon on the finished sandwich and the condiment is Bacon Mayo.

Has anyone tried it yet?

Tim Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

JIB has introduced a new specialty burger: The Bacon Insider

The hamburger patty has bacon mixed in with the beef, it has strips of bacon on the finished sandwich and the condiment is Bacon Mayo.

Has anyone tried it yet?

Toots' son eats a lot of fast food - he's a big Taco Bell fan - and he's tried the bacon insider.  He likes it and thought it was very good.

... Shel

• 1 month later...

I recently tried the new Jack's Blazin' Chicken Sandwich. It's supposed to have "ghost" chile sauce as a condiment. 

Meh.  :hmmm:

I didn't think it was all that spicy hot. I couldn't discern any heat or flavor coming from the "ghost" chile sauce. The only spiciness I experienced came from the pickled jalepeños.

The sandwich doesn't live up to the hype.

Tim Oliver

• 2 years later...

JIB has re-vamped their onion rings and they are quite a bit better. They're now Panko crusted and are crispy as can be. :x

Unfortunately, they didn't re-vamp any of the seasonings in the batter so they taste the same as their previous incarnation. Which is fine with me since I jazz them up with some of Penzey's Fast Forward seasoning (basically it's Seasoned Salt without the salt. Then I add a little salt of my own. :cool: ).

I keep seeing televisions commercials touting that they're bringing back the Swiss Mushroom Butter Burger which I thought was da' bomb! Can't wait for it to hit my local JIB's.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

A short while ago JIB introduced their Double Jack. It is a double patty cheeseburger. I think it's huge (and tasty) and could easily be cut in two to share with someone. One minor caveat, though...if you order this through the drive-through, make sure you pronounce it clearly. Sometimes the employee on the other end of the speaker thinks you said "Jumbo Jack" instead of "Double Jack'. ¬¬

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

JIB has a new BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger (my guess is it's a limited time menu item). It's very "meh".

The Western Bacon Cheeseburger from Carl's Jr/Hardee's is a much better version of this burger, IMHO. JIB offers either a sweet BBQ sauce or a spicy BBQ sauce with the burger which I thought was completely inconsequential to the overall burger. One would think it would be something to make the burger shine or stand out, but it doesn't seem to do much for the burger. JIB also adds lettuce and tomatoes to their BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger, which Carl's Jr/Hardee's doesn't put on their version of the burger.

Save your money for JIB's Swiss Mushroom Butter Burger, instead. ;)

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

• 5 weeks later...

Something new on the horizon at Jack in the Box:

Jack’s Brewhouse Bacon Burger (click)

No info from the "article" other than that it looks quite tasty. Not sure when it will debut...

Tim Oliver