• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jack in the Box

Chris Hennes

They are a fast food burger place that IMHO serves a better than average selection of food. I personally think their chicken egg rolls are delicious. They often add new food to their menu to keep things interesting which is pretty much the opposite of McD's. I can't say what they'll have on the menu in your area because they do have regional differences but the core foods are probably the same. If they have some sort of a steak sandwich it's pretty good. It's a fast food joint. All over the place here in San Diego.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

A Jack in the Box just opened up near me (well, near my Home Depot, same thing...): I've never been to one, or heard anything about it. Is there anything good there? What kind of food do they serve, even?

Now you're talkin' :raz:

Jack-in-the-Box is a fast food burger place homebased in San Diego, CA. They've been around for about the last 55, maybe 60 years. You might recall that several years ago they had a problem with undercooked burgers and E.Coli. They have since become one of the industry leaders in food handling/training, HAACP and prevention of food borne illnesses. They don't pretend to be a major competitor with McD, BK or Wendy's. While they have their array of hamburgers - Bonus Jack, Jumbo Jack, Sirloin Burger, Ultimate Cheeseburger etc - they have focused some of their R/D on other sandwiches. They're target market also trends a little older than the 18-25 y.o. male.

Their tacos are legendary for late night dining after partying all night. It's a skinny, deep fried taco filled with mystery meat a slice of cheese and some shredded lettuce, that of course begins to wilt when it's put in the just fried taco. This might be an item that you need to have grown up eating (especially at 2 am after a lot of alcohol)to really "get".

Their Breakfast Jack is pretty good for breakfast. Soft white hamburger bun, thin slice of ham, fried egg, and a slice of cheese. The cheese melts, the bun is squishy but for some reason it works. They do, of course, have other breakfast sandwiches using croissants and biscuits, but the original Breakfast Jack - which has been around for at least 30 years - is reigns supreme. We sell a knock off product at work and move a lot of them every day.

They've got a couple of ciabatta bread sandwiches with grilled chicken breast that are decent. I used to like their spicy chicken sandwich before I stopped eating a lot of breaded and fried stuff.

JITB has a tendency to run a lot of short term specialty sandwiches through their stores during the year. Right now they're doing grilled sandwiches. I don't expect those to stay around much longer.

There is also usually a choice of fries, regular straight cuts and seasoned twisters. Go for the curly fries, pretty sure it's the Lamb-Weston twister fry which is a very good fry.

Their salads are decent, their rice bowls just kind of so-so.

Their ads are usually a hoot, since "Jack" their spokes person is a man wearing a clown head.

It's fast food, nothing is particularly good, nothing is particularly bad. Jack's Menu

The only fast food I get a craving for: the Jack Spicy Chicken Sandwich - breaded breast with a bit of spice, a mayo sauce, tomato, and lettuce. I is always freshly made and has a nice contrast of crunch (breading), crisp (lettuce), and soft bun.

The Southwestern Chicken Salad is pretty decent (you can get grilled chicken or fried chicken strips) but the grilled sandwiches, namely the Deli Trio, is, for fast food sandwich, really good. Grilled bread, a creamy dressing, 3 types of meats, cheese and a long, crunchy pickle slice. The other grilled sandwich I haven't tried yet - something with bacon.

Stop Family Violence

Used to be able to get the Chicken Supreme........no more. It was pretty good. And, didn't they have a burger on rye with grilled onions once upon a time? Good stuff that you don't find in any other fast food place. That what I like best about JITB.........

. . . And, didn't they have a burger on rye with grilled onions once upon a time? Good stuff that you don't find in any other fast food place. That what I like best about JITB.........

I don't remember if it used to be on rye or not, but the steak melt has grilled onions. When I lived in Houston a few years back, it was one of my favorites. I also managed, most weeks, to indulge in a Sourdough Jack. As I recall, the fries are decent when fresh, but the curly fries not so much.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

There are no JITB where I moved to, and I find the thing I miss the most are the bacon cheddar potato wedges w/ sour cream.....YUM! Hardly real food but sooo satisfying. As for the tacos, my sons (early twenties) will drive the 500 miles the the nearest JITB just to buy dozens of them and snack for days. I personally, just don't see it.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

There are no JITB where I moved to, and I find the thing I miss the most are the bacon cheddar potato wedges w/ sour cream.....YUM! Hardly real food but sooo satisfying. As for the tacos, my sons (early twenties) will drive the 500 miles the the nearest JITB just to buy dozens of them and snack for days. I personally, just don't see it.

I know very little about my only sibling's food tastes, but she was fixated on those tacos when we were kids. I think they are part TVP- umami plus?

Oh yea baby! It's the tacos. They used to have a super taco but they're gone. The regular deep fried will do anytime @ 2 for 99 cents w/a cold beer in the parking lot. These were very similar to the ones we got in Tijuana in the early sixties. Honestly we were there for the tuck and roll (car upholstery).

"I drink to make other people interesting".

Oh yea baby! It's the tacos...The regular deep fried will do anytime @ 2 for 99 cents...

Yes! My all time favorite junk food tacos! The mystery meat seems more like greasy refried beans to me. But I love them. We just got a bunch of coupons for various sandwiches and combos, including two free tacos with any purchase, so will have to get myself over there soon. :biggrin:

The commercials are funny.

20 years ago they had three different boxed dinners. I ate at lest twice a week the ranch fried chicken breast dinner;

IIRC was two pieces of chicken, fries or onion rings and a salad.

Last week I had a meeting at one, ordered the Western Egg bowl....it was without a doubt in the top 10 worst fast food dishes I ever eaten.

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Well, there was one in the town where I went to school, and I can tell you this: At 2:30 in the morning, after a billion beers and shots, there is nothing better than jalapeno poppers, tacos, egg rolls and a jumbo jack. All at once.

Sober, I don't think there's anything there I would publicly endorse ...

I grew up in San Diego (where the chain originated) and loved, loved, loved the Jumbo Jack. But that was more than 30 years ago. They were one of the first to create fried chicken tenders which were truly fabulous!

A childhood friend who transplanted to the United Kingdom made a point of seeking out a Jack-in-the-Box when he was visiting and we ordered a handful of things that we had fond memories for. I'm sorry to say that not only is it not a pale reflection of what they once were, they are nothing like the fabulous fast food I fondly recall. There is no similarity in taste to what I recall as a kid...

Oh yea baby! It's the tacos. They used to have a super taco but they're gone. The regular deep fried will do anytime @ 2 for 99 cents w/a cold beer in the parking lot. These were very similar to the ones we got in Tijuana in the early sixties. Honestly we were there for the tuck and roll (car upholstery).

LOL. Buick Regal, Late 70's, Enchiladas Suisas at Sanborns in Tijuana with the family. Good times!

2 tacos and a sourdough chicken really hit the spot at 130a after working 12+ on the line. There food is okay for a fast food place. Their Cubanish sandwich someone else mentioned really is pretty good. That is a nice quality pickle.

The only fast food I get a craving for: the Jack Spicy Chicken Sandwich - breaded breast with a bit of spice, a mayo sauce, tomato, and lettuce. I is always freshly made and has a nice contrast of crunch (breading), crisp (lettuce), and soft bun.

The Spicy Chicken Sandwich is a very good sandwich. It requires no qualifiers such as 'for a fast food sandwich'.

It is plain and simply good. It is purt'near always made to order, and can be served too hot to eat.

The jalapeno poppers are a good rendition, using medium/mild peppers.

For everything else, I slightly prefer Jack's to Wendy's, greatly prefer it to McD's, wont eat at a BK.

Last year at thanksgiving, an Arizona location was offering deepfried macaroni&cheese. I havent seen that locally.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I finally made it to the Jack in the Box yesterday: I went with the Spicy Chicken sandwich and curly fries, and both were quite good. The tomato on the sandwich was anemic (though I suppose they all seem to be these days), but the chicken itself was very good. Thanks for the recommendation!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 7 months later...

Jack In The Box Launches New Food Truck

Fast-food chain Jack in the Box's first food truck will be making the rounds in San Diego areas like the Gaslamp Quarter for the next month before the crew hits the road and heads to Orange County and Los Angeles.

"Really giving our customers what they are asking for, and if they want the truck at their wedding, we will be there," said Jennifer Kennedy, associate marketing manager with Jack in the Box.

I can see it as a PR gimmick, but as a competitve (in it for the money) food truck? :blink: Not so much.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Jack-in-the-Box is a fast food burger place homebased in San Diego, CA. They've been around for about the last 55, maybe 60 years. You might recall that several years ago they had a problem with undercooked burgers and E.Coli. They have since become one of the industry leaders in food handling/training, HAACP and prevention of food borne illnesses.

Was it only a few years ago? I remember them from the 70s when there were still some on the east coast; and mainly what I remember is the feeling ill afterwards. Glad to hear they've cleaned up.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Jack In The Box Launches New Food Truck

Fast-food chain Jack in the Box's first food truck will be making the rounds in San Diego areas like the Gaslamp Quarter for the next month before the crew hits the road and heads to Orange County and Los Angeles.

"Really giving our customers what they are asking for, and if they want the truck at their wedding, we will be there," said Jennifer Kennedy, associate marketing manager with Jack in the Box.

I can see it as a PR gimmick, but as a competitve (in it for the money) food truck? :blink: Not so much.

Are you kidding, I think this thing will rock it out. The graphics on their truck rock, they're not going far from their target market (20-somethings who've spent the night drinking in the Gaslamp) and they're serving a very limited menu of their top sellers. I think they'll make a ton of $$$ off this venture.

When I was that age and partied till 2 am, we used to hit up JITB for the tacos. Grease to absorb the alcohol...or so with thought :wink: