• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Family Style Recipes with New England theme

coolhandluke

Hey there,

Anyone have any good ideas for family style food to be served at an upcoming wedding. We will be at one long table dinner party style - 50 people. New England seasonal is our theme. Thinking striper with succotash, hushpuppies. Most proteins will be coming off the grill, bowls of seasonal salads etc scattered down the table. Any other great ideas? Foodie crowd, but laid back atmosphere - outdoors and simple preferred.

Thanks!

Bacon tastes good, porkchops taste good...

1. what is your location?

2. what is your time frame?

chowder? lobster rolls(claws and knuckles only). use the tails for a lobster chowder or a kind of filet with bacon(tail wrapped with prosciutto just barely kissed to warm and slightly brown the prosciutto)

i'm assuming that by succotash you mean corn and lima beans. on long island/ne nothing else is included - including tomato or okra.

if tomatoes are at their best what about tomato/basil oil shooters?

what about duck breast or venison (both hunted in the fall) with some sort of a compote of beachplums/cranberries?

hushpuppies are not new england - corn fritters with maple syrup or honey are new england.

striped bass - ok if your guests like oily fish. in the fall how about halibut or flounder en pappilotte?

good luck

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I just checked a copy of "Out of Old Nova Scotia Kitchens" from my library, which has a lot of old-school, Maritime/New England-style recipes. Off the top of my head, Blueberry Grunt and Hodgepodge come to mind. Baked Beans?

ditto on the lobster.

Indian Pudding with vanilla ice cream.

Steamers (some grilled linguica alongside would not be amiss).

Corn on the cob.

oyster stew.

If you do go the baked beans route...be sure to make the steamed brown bread to go along with it, and perhaps some fishcakes.

Personally, I'd go the lobster route...and steamers...heck, I just need to get to a good clambake.

I guess my first question with a "New England Seasonal" theme is... What season? I'm guessing summer since you mention grilling and salads.

To me the quintessential New England Summer family-style meal is the Calm Bake, done right in a pit. Most of the good ones I've been to also featured grilled steaks etc.

If you're looking at late summer or even fall a solid alternative would be the classic New England Harvest Supper. Kind of like an over-the-top traditional Thanksgiving meal (hearty fare with lots of apples, root vegetables and winter squashes, country bread etc) but you're not stuck with just turkey. Fall was traditionally the time when many farm animals were slaughtered so platters of grilled fresh sausages, chops, steaks etc would be right at home on the table.

Good luck.

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

My Blog: "The Kitchen Chronicles"

BMR on FaceBook

"The Flavor of the White Mountains"

Stuffed clams are good for a crowd. Easy to make a few trays in advance, heat them in oven when you're ready. I've had some that included chorizo--really good.

You might want to look through some of Jasper White's cookbooks for ideas--Cooking from New England or the Summer Shack Cookbook will have classic recipes as well as updated versions.