• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese cold mussels dish?

afn33282

Used to wait tables at a Chinese buffet in Alabama years ago. The owner had to finally ask me to cut down on eating three plates of the cold mussels... now it's summer, and I'd love to reproduce it.

As I remember, the mussels were dressed pretty simply in a classic combo of flavors (soy, sesame, garlic or shallot, ginger, ?scallion, a bit of sweetness). I could wing it, but would rather draw on a traditional method.

Anyone else know this one? Advice? Bupkus on Google...

Edited by heidih (log)
Frau Farbissma: "It's a television commercial! With this cartoon leprechaun! And all of these children are trying to chase him...Hey leprechaun! Leprechaun! We want to get your lucky charms! Haha! Oh, and there's all these little tiny bits of marshmallow just stuck right in the cereal so that when the kids eat them, they think, 'Oh this is candy! I'm having fun!'"

It sounds like this dish is a typical Cantonese-style shellfish stirfry/braise, served cold or at room temp. Any Cantonese shellfish stirfry recipe should help you get started. I suspect that this was the restaurant's specialty that a talented chef got just right. It's not something I've encountered in other Chinese restaurants, or in my family's cooking.

Another tack you can take: there's a cold asparagus/greens dish with that kind of sauce served in dim sum restaurants. Maybe find that recipe, and use the sauce on some chilled cooked mussels.

Hope you can reverse engineer the recipe.