• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brief trip to Chicago: Itinerary feedback requested

prcentauri

Avenues tends to fly a bit under the radar. I wouldn't read too much into a lack of Yelp reviews.

I agree. Some restaurants always get more PR than others - sometimes deservedly so, sometimes not. Curtis Duffy is keeping up the high standards at Avenues since taking over a couple of years ago.

Yeah really unfortunate about their damages. I only read your post just now. I had already gone over there that morning via subway around 10 am to find it closed due to the flooding you mentioned. We decided to head over to Hot Dougs from there since it seemed sort of accessible. We walked about 10 min over to California avenue. caught the bus northward but California ave was closed down due to flooding. we sat in re-routing traffic for a while and then arrived at Hot Dougs to find them closed as well. Total bummer. We ended up taking a cab over to Art of Pizza since it was sort of nearby and we just wanted to put something in our stomach. Anyways thank you everyone for your input.

Heres the places we went to and the dishes we had.

-------------------------------------

Avec, Thurs dinner for 2, ~945pm, No wait but a nearly packed, Took the last unoccupied table, Noisy but tolerable.

Chorizo-stuffed Medjool dates with smoked bacon and piquillo pepper-tomato sauce

Seared hanger steak with roasted tomatoes and radicchio

Wood-oven roasted pork shoulder with cannellini beans, summer squash and cherry mostarda

The chorizo-stuffed dates were delicious with very balanced flavors. Spicy, smoky, sweet. We found the hanger steak to be ok but nothing memorable. The pork shoulder was perfectly executed, soft as butter, very comforting and enjoyable. Too full for dessert.

North Pond, Friday lunch solo, ~115pm, Immediately seated at my reservation time in front sun-filled room, All tables full but quiet atmosphere.

Poached egg, warm piccolo farro with bulgher, green and gold zucchini, roasted black trumpet mushrooms, Banylus syrup

Braised rabbit, fresh egg paparedelle, blackened tomatoes and cipollini onions, lovage, pignoli nuts, parmigiano reggiano

Apricot and sage chutney, apricot foam

Brown butter waffle, caramelized peaches, anise sorbet, cinnamon whipped cream, crumble

Every course was fantastic. Beautiful plating. Lots of ingredients but really harmoniously coming together. The first course was warm, creamy and earthy. I knew the meal was going to be good. The entree was also a hit. The apricot pre-dessert was very refreshing and an unexpected surprise for me seeing as I didnt know this course was coming. The dessert was also great. Very playful.

Xoco, Friday afternoon snack for 2, ~430pm, About a 10-person line of patrons to the counter.

Pepito torta: Braised shortribs, caramelized onion, artisan Jack cheese, black beans, pickled jalapenos

Cubano torta: Smoked pork loin and bacon, black beans, avocado, artisan jack cheese, chipotle mustard

No complaints here. Tortas were a bit messy but totally tasty. I preferred the Cubano but I think I'm also obsessed with bacon.

The Publican, Friday dinner for 2, ~830pm, Immediately seated at our reservation time, Full house, Very noisy.

Nectarines, burrata, pecans, balsamic

Spicy pork rinds

Pork belly, eggplant, rapini

Roasted chicken, summer sausage, frites

The nectarines were sweet, the burrata could have been a bit softer and creamier. I didnt care for the pork rinds but my GF liked them. The pork belly dish was the best course. It was plated with more precision and was very good. The chicken was also very good, huge portion. Too full for dessert.

Art of Pizza, Saturday late morning snack for 2 following the epic fail brunch attempt at Lula Cafe and hot doug fail thereafter, ~1100am. Empty.

Sausage pan pizza by the slice, 1 slice each

It was ok. We were starving. My GF thought it was slightly better than Pizza Hut. That can't be a compliment though I dunno what Pizza Hut tastes like.

Portillo’s, Saturday afternoon lunch for 2 right after the pizza, ~1200pm, Really busy, Factory-like, Kinda fast-food like to me.

Hot dog with mustard, relish, onions, tomatoes, pickle and peppers, poppy seed bun

Chili cheese dog

Strawberry shake

I really enjoyed the Chicago style hot dog. Definately better than our Shake Shack Chicago style dog.

Avenues, Saturday dinner for 2, ~6pm, Immediately seated at reservation time, Gracious welcoming, Half-filled room and remained that way.

Namaste: zen green tea liquor, Bacardi O, passion fruit, lemonade, Sprite

Jet Li: Patron silver, pear puree, cranberry juice, ginger ale

Amuse: caviar, meyer lemon gelée, liquid brioche, egg yolk crumble, brioche bread

Italian herb bread

Goat’s milk butter, meyer lemon olive oil emulsion, herbed oil emulsion

King crab, wild steelhead roe, kalamansi, lemon mint

Sweet corn, charred husks, finger limes, coriander blooms, coconut dome, cilantro noodles

Warm pretzel

Wild alpine char, brandade, pommery mustard, fennel blossum

Grains, seeds, nuts, amaranth veil, puffed, sunflower

Acquerello risotto, black figs, chanterelles, oxalis

Elysian lamb loin, hibiscus, sweet curry, nasturtium

Whole wheat waffle, coconut, basil, lime

Wagyu, pistachio, black truffle, spring onion

Passion fruit, tapioca, rosewater, lemon balm

Strawberry, thai black pepper, mascarpone, opal basil blossums

Dark chocolate, saffron, honey, bergamot

Mignardises

Impeccable service. I've never been asked before if I would prefer a different colored napkin. HaHa. The food was ridiculously good. We did a tasting and added supplements. Duffy's signature king crab dish was flawless, bright, refreshing. Sweet corn dish was also great with funny use of pop corn playing off the cool sweet corn soup. The grains, seeds, nuts course was gorgeously plated and delicious. The lamb and curry pairing was a new flavor profile for me that I really enjoyed. A truly great meal.

Edited by prcentauri (log)

Glad this worked out. If you come back, remember Publican is also great with fish. They have an addictive style and a couple of visits may be needed to appreciate the cooking. Hot Doug is worth the return visit and the wait is nothing when you add up the total time. The best things are completely different from anything else you will find anywhere.

Edited by inductioncook (log)

Hot Doug is worth the return visit and the wait is nothing when you add up the total time.

An hour and a half standing in a line outdoors is not "nothing". Hot Doug's is in my personal file under "big deal, not worth it".

Hot Doug is worth the return visit and the wait is nothing when you add up the total time.

An hour and a half standing in a line outdoors is not "nothing". Hot Doug's is in my personal file under "big deal, not worth it".

I'd put Xoco in the same file, though I might be a shade more diplomatic. I'd say that if you can go to either at a time when the wait is minimal they are worth experiencing, but peak times should be avoided at all costs, unless you'll never have the chance to return. Kuma's is another entry on that list.

To prcentauri, from what you mentioned liking best about Avenues, I'd wager you would absolutely love Schwa...next time.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

I'd put Xoco in the same file, though I might be a shade more diplomatic. I'd say that if you can go to either at a time when the wait is minimal they are worth experiencing, but peak times should be avoided at all costs, unless you'll never have the chance to return. Kuma's is another entry on that list.

Unfortunately, there isn't any time where the wait at Hot Doug's is minimal. It's not like Frontera where you get there right before the doors open and you walk right in.

Xoco is okay, but I don't think it's all that unusual. Whereas at some of the more creative provincial Mexican restaurants around town - not only Topolobampo/Frontera, but also Mixteco Grill, Mundial Cocina Mestiza, and Mexique - you can enjoy food that's way beyond what you can find in most Mexican restaurants in most cities this side of the border.

• 1 year later...

Well I'm gonna be back in Chicago. Super excited to return. My girlfriend is going to be at the Birth World Congress. We'll be around Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday. Last time we went to Avec, Avenues, The Publican, and I dined solo for lunch at North Pond. She really wants to go back to Avec. She still claims to taste the chorizo-stuffed medjool dates. Ahaha. It was pretty awesome. I kinda want to bring her to North Pond since the setting was nice and their food was warm, comforting and very well-executed. These are the tentative plans....

Let me know what you think. I have my car this time. Not sure if I should just leave it in the hotel lot the whole time.

Breakfast/Brunch ideas

Jam

M.Henry

Sprout for Sunday brunch (reserved)

Lunch ideas (I might be solo quite a bit)

Kuma’s Corner

Grahamwich

Hot Chocolate

Bari

Nhu Lan

Dinners

Thursday: MK (reserved)

Friday: Takashi (reserved)

Saturday: North Pond (reserved)

Sunday: Avec (as an early walk-in around 5:30)

We are on the waitlist for Alinea and Girl and the Goat. I wasn't even close to getting a reservation at Schwa. I dont understand their reservation system, probably never will and sadly will probably never experience that place. We both want to try a different restaurant than Avenues despite the fact that we loved it. Some other ideas I had were dinners at Les Nomades, Tru and/or Trotter's.

What are your opinions? Should I swap out any of my dinner ideas with the ones I listed just above here.

In addition to Les Nomades, Tru and Trotter's... L2O and Graham Elliot are in the mix as potential replacements for MK, Takashi, North Pond and Avec. That is, assuming we dont get off the waitlist of Alinea or Girl and the Goat and some random person doesnt give us a spot at Schwa.

What are your opinions? Should I swap out any of my dinner ideas with the ones I listed just above here.

I love Jam for breakfast. I can't put my finger on why, but their sunny side up eggs are consistently the best eggs I've ever had.

I'd skip Grahamwich. I gave it 3 tries and all were pretty middling.

Perhaps a quick trip to Chinatown? It's really quite an easy trip down from the loop...I like Phoenix for Dim Sum (Go shortly after 9 am on weekdays and you can order off the menu. No need to wait for carts to come around, everything is fresh from the kitchen and minimal language barrier.) or Lao Sze Chuan for lunch/dinner.

I might also try to work in some Mexican. Maybe a taqueria (either old school: El Asadero or new: Big Star) or a sit-down meal at a former Bayless protege's place like Mixteco Grill or the excellent, off the beaten path May St. Cafe.

Also, it's worth noting that with the departure of Curtis Duffy, Avenues has closed.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

In addition to Les Nomades, Tru and Trotter's... L2O and Graham Elliot are in the mix as potential replacements for MK, Takashi, North Pond and Avec. That is, assuming we dont get off the waitlist of Alinea or Girl and the Goat and some random person doesnt give us a spot at Schwa.

Both Tru and L2O have been getting high marks from a lot of folks since the departures of their chefs, even from those who have been detractors in the past. I think either would be worth a shot. They're in a completely different league than places like Takashi and Avec, which are both excellent, but far less formal/expensive.

Schwa's "reservation" system is basically a crap shoot. Call until someone answers; leaving a message is useless. Even if you get someone live and get a reservation, never assume you won't get cancelled on at the last minute.

I really like Les Nomades. I'm taking my wife back for our anniversary later this month, but I'm not sure it's that different from plenty of places you can find in New York.

DeVoto, The Hour

I had an amazing eggs benedict with fennel hollandaise and crispy pork belly at Jam last week. Definitely a good choice.

I see from your previous trip report that you hit up Xoco, why not try Frontera Grill or Topolobampo this time around? Nothing really like them in NYC. Probably easier to get in for lunch than dinner (not sure when your trip is).

You might also want to add Purple Pig to your list. Makes for a lovely late lunch or pre-dinner nosh.

Not sure a trek to Chinatown in Chicago is worth it, especially with NYC's embarrassment of Chinese riches lately (Henan, Shaanxi, Fujian, Dongbei, etc). I liked Lao Sze Chuan a lot when I went last year but it seemed on par with Szechuan Gourmet, Chengdu Heaven, etc.

And if you like cocktails at all, go to The Aviary. I don't think there's anything really like it in the entire country. They take same-day reservations over email (chosen randomly), and if you don't get one, the wait isn't very long if you show up shortly before they open (6pm). As a NY cocktail nerd, when we visit Chicago, we arrange our schedule around drinking at The Aviary.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Wow so duffy left avenues and the place closed? Sad though not entirely surprised. We went at peak hour and

the place was half empty, the decor was bland and the clientele seemed quite old. The food and service was fantastc.

We actually transplanted to michigan a couple months ago for work. Dont get me started on that. We are going back home

to NYC next week though.

As far as our itinerary for chicago goes what is MK and Takashi like? I am strongly considering swapping them out for L2O or Tru or Les Nomades.

As for chinese, My GF is chinese and we are returning to NYC next week for

her brother's wedding so we'll be in for some chinese meals, both a dinner and surely a

dim sum.

As for mexican i did think xoco was decent and we are familiar with topo and frontera but i think we

will prob pass on that style. Detroit has a decent mexicantown

although its not pretty and theres the possibility of gettng shot.

What we do have in our area in michigan are solid casual japanese places and decent new american (though not inventive nor exceedingly fancy). We havent had high end french in a while. We are probably going to have an italian meal at Torrisi when we go back to NYC, if theyre even open as I hear they are moving the deli counter out to their new spot. The last memorable meals we had before we left NYC were at Brooklyn Fare, Eleven Madison Park and Blue Hill at Stone Barns. The first being excellent but not quite to the level of our previous visit, the second being very good and better than our first visit, and the last being better than our previous visit and truly extraordinary. Try to follw that sentence. Anways, I digress.

So budget is typically not to exceed approx $150pp without wine.

What do you guys think I should do?

Lunch: Big & little's; Naha (Th/Fr); Purple Pig

Dinner: Piccolo Sogno (under-the-radar Italian, great patio)

It sounds like you've done your Detroit-area research, but you might also want to start a new thread here; I'm sure boagman and others could offer some useful information.

And you've gotta know about Zingerman's, right?

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

ahaha yeah. i've been pretty underwhelmed by the food scene in southeastern michigan. although i'm glad to have so far been to zingerman's, forest grill, toasted oak, shangri la, sharaku, kitchen hanzo, supino, slow's, etc. and liked these places nothing is like NYC, Chicago, SF.

as for chicago, so far this is what i've had this trip...

Thursday

Lunch: Purple Pig

Dinner: MK

Friday

Breakfast: Jam

Lunch: planned to try Bari

Dinner: reservations at Takashi, may walk over to Hot Chocolate for dessert

Saturday

Breakfast:

M.Henry

Lunch: maybe Frank n Dawgs

Snack: maybe Floriole

Dinner: late reservations at North Pond

Sunday

Brunch: reservations at Sprout

Early dinner: Avec walk-in

Hey, c'mon over to Grand Rapids for a weekend. There's an interesting food culture growing here. And Meijer Gardens.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Hello prcentauri,

I was actually one of the sous chefs at North Pond when you went there for lunch and those were my dishes.:) So glad you enjoyed!!! Sorry for catching this thread so late.:) Next time you come into town, come check out Perennial Virant and let me know!!!! I will set things up.:)

Carlo

I think your plan looks really good.

A couple of thoughts/comments.

I hope you enjoy M.Henry...never had a bad brunch or lunch there.

I really like Alex's suggestion of Big & Little's, and would choose it over Bari's. We used to order takeout from Bari's for work, was a welcome relief from some of the usual catered lunch fare, but not sure it beats Big & Little's.

Save some room if you are heading over to Hot Chocolate...combining it with Takashi is a good one-two punch.

Another thought it to check out our food truck scene. Meaty Balls is a good one for lunch, and they post online and their twitter where they will be.

Also, I was skimming through this and didn't notice when you are visiting, but you may want to think about getting into Next. You could try same day tickets, especially if you are flexible with some of your reservations (e.g., Sunday at Avec you aren't going to make reservations). Last I saw the Thai menu is going on until Oct. 9 and the Childhood menu is starting the following week. If you are coming after the Thai menu ends, you could try to get tickets when Childhood goes on sale and turn into a crazy person like the rest of us. :rolleyes: (Just don't turn into one of the idiots that gets mad at Grant and Nick for "forcing" them to sit in front of their computer, or miss meetings or their commuter trains all day trying to get tickets.)

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

seriously? i had a fantastic solo lunch at north pond last august! started with poached egg, warm piccolo farro with bulgher, green and gold zucchini, roasted black trumpet mushrooms, and Banylus syrup. then braised rabbit, fresh egg paparedelle, blackened tomatoes and cipollini onions, lovage, pignoli nuts, and parmigiano reggiano. next was a complimentry apricot chutney and foam intermezzo and last was the brown butter waffle, caramelized peaches, anise sorbet, cinammon whipped cream, and crumble. a truly memorable set of courses.

i actually thought of checking out perennial virant this trip. ended up going to mk, which i found just decent. i must add perennial to the must add that to the list for the next chicago visit.

we ended up going to takashi and it was excellent. definately as good as three star NY times restaurants and in a much more relaxed setting too. first, a peekytoe crab salad with avocado, cucumber, curried rice chip, and carrot-cumin coulis. next sauteed maine scallops and soba gnocchi with trumpet royale, and celery root-parmesan foam. third was seared quebec fois gras with candied kumquats and rhubarb, and port-huckleberry reduction. soy-ginger caramel pork belly with pickled daikon salad, and steamed buns followed. next was roasted indiana duck breast with duck rillete roll, baby turnips, and green bean salad. to finish was s sheep's milk yogurt panna cotta with yuzu gelee, peach compote, and green

tea shortbread. a great meal start to finish. no room in the stomach for dishes at hot chocolate.

tomorrow i think i'm going to try m.henry. then frank n dawgs. maybe an afternoon snack from floriole or hot chocolate and then a 9:30pm dinner resy at north pond.

sunday as i said will be brunch at sprout and an early dinner at avec.

im already here. i couldnt get next tickets, couldnt get off the alinea waitlist, or the girl and the goat waitlist. i was hoping for schwa but i think it closed. was thinking of doing dinners at TRU, L2O and les nomades. ended up doing a less formal trip with dinners at mk thursday, takashi earler this evening, north pond tomorrow and avec sunday.