• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where does one eat well in Glenside or environs?

Jeff L

I've been going to the Keswick for many years and can not for the life of me find a really good place to go for dinner before the show. As my buddy bought the tix, it's on me to source and pay for dinner. I'm open to all cusines and he's a somewhat more basic, less adventuresome diner but could be persuaded if the food is really great.

I've been to all the places in Glenside by the theatre and must say I wasn't impressed at all with any of them. Any ideas would be appreciated. I don't mind driving a ways as we're coming from the Newtown area in Bucks Co.

Thanks!!

I can't tell you anything about the food, but you're in for a great concert.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Jeff I agree, Glenside is a wasteland. I am trying to think of interesting food that could be along the way, assuming for example you get off the PA Turnpike at Willow Grove. Yalda Grill would be an option, Afghani BYO with good food about 1/2 mile north on 611. Pho and Beyond is right in Willow Grove and does decent Vietnamese food. If you go to Fort Washington Exit of the Turnpike and into Ambler, its a littler further away and you have Brigids Steakhouse and From the Boot (BYO Italian). Brigids has a prix fix from 5-6 for pre theatre. In the immediate Glenside vicinity, Union Jack's for wings and beer, or Athena for mediocre greek food. The brew pub G. G. Brewers in glenside is small if not different.

Enjoy the show. Levon is a fantastic performer.

I still haven't been there, but Earth, Bread & Brewery is not far away, 7136 Germantown Ave. If you're coming via the turnpike and getting off at Willow Grove, the Blue Sage in Southampton is not terribly far away and is great. It's vegetarian.

http://www.earthbreadbrewery.com/bread.html

http://www.bluesagegrille.com/Dinnermenu.htm

Blue Sage is great.. though its a bit of a trek from Willow Grove Exit .. Earth Bread and Brewery specializes in home made flatbreads .. ie pizzas. Stress local ingredients and organic produce. Their salads are nice, and their beers are quite good and they brew some nice session beers. They are also great at doing guest beers as well.

I can't tell you anything about the food, but you're in for a great concert.

If you go to Fort Washington Exit of the Turnpike and into Ambler, its a littler further away and you have Brigids Steakhouse

Enjoy the show. Levon is a fantastic performer.

First, I'm really looking forward to this show. Last time I saw Levon was in 1969 with The Band and the show blew me away. I think he's just gotten better since then...

Anyway, Brigets (sp?) is looking like it will fit the bill. There seems to be plenty of basic items on their menu for my friend to select from plus they look to have a decent selection of spirits

I'd still like to hear some more voices either yay or nay

Holly, I'd go there in a heartbeat, my kind of joint and I'm glad to know it's so close to the Keswick but I do have to try and come close to spending what my friend spent on the tickets and that place probably won't do it.

Wonder why they don't double fry the french fries, always the best way to go.

Edited by Jeff L (log)

So we ended up at Union Jacks. Great choice as there were some really nice and unusual beers on tap along with some pretty tasty wings and burgers. This seemed like a local place but we felt pretty welcome by everyone. I'd definately go back next time I'm in Glenside.

Oh and Levon Helm was really great, brought back lots of memories of times past.