• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating my way through the Baltics

elfin

We will be in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania-travelling overland- for a couple of weeks in early August. I have read dining blogs-albeit a bit old and would like some general recommendations as what I should eat. Are there special fish from the Baltic Sea or rivers/lakes I should seek out? Special breads, pastries or other baked delicacies famous to these regions? Are there special stews, meats, mushrooms or alcohol that I should try? I am a budget traveler and am not bringing 'fine dining' clothes. Any recs would be most appreciated. Thank you.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

• 2 weeks later...

we really enjoyed our visit to riga (in freezing march) a couple of years ago great buildings & friendly people. As JMT said the central market is great for a wander. However generally there wasn't much particularly memorable foodwise - but this view is probably greatly influenced by the fact that I was travelling with my vegetarian boyfriend which limited our restaurant choices dramatcally! the boyfriend ended up at Čili Pica more than once. We visited the LIDO atpūtas centrs which was an interesting experience (lavian themed buffet), but can't say i'd go back although there was a nice selection of smoked fish (for me). The other half also dragged us to the medieval themed restaurant (Rozengrāls) and suprisingly the food was quite tasty, or maybe it was just the affect of the beer? One place we found cheap and tasty was a pancake shop although I have no idea what it was called I remember it had some form of advertising statue outside (possibly man with pan). if you drink then you should try some black balsam, although i'm sure the only reason they manage to sell the stuff is because it comes in a nice ceramic bottle!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

'm in Tallinn Estonia right now and had great pancakes at Kompressor in Old Town. Off to Tartu tomorrow, then to Riga and then Lithuania. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

Paul B

'm in Tallinn Estonia right now and had great pancakes at Kompressor in Old Town. Off to Tartu tomorrow, then to Riga and then Lithuania. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

For Riga... Definitely Riga Central Market, as mentioned above. At least to me, Latvian rye bread is a real delight (very dark and dense) (there was a recent piece in Saveur about regional differences in European rye breads).

Look for piragi, the delicious Latvian ham rolls. I'm blanking on the name of my favorite place and my trip notes are elsewhere, but based on the location I think it ay be the place referenced in some other posts, Rausu Meistars located on Gertrudes Iela. You'll also find some at the Central Market.

Riga Black Balsams is a treat if you like bitter, amaro-style liqueurs, only just beginning to become available in a few places in the US. (In Estonia, you'll find the sweetish, vanilla-y liqueur Vana Tallinn, also a treat that I believe is imported nowhere in the US.)

Sadly, as my notes are elsewhere, I can't remember other restaurant recommendations, but there was a NYTimes 36 hours in Riga piece a few years back that might be a good starting place.

• 10 months later...

I am going to be in Tallinn, Riga, Vilnius end of May. Any recommendations for local food places? Low or high end, no matter. We are very adventurous eaters and have no problems (or on my case love) offal and unusual dishes.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks heidih, that blog is awesome. Will upload pictures from one of the recommended places soon.

Does anyone have suggestions about dinner in Riga?

• 5 months later...

Member Pille's blog has a post about Spring 2012 recommendations for Tallinn here. I trust her judgment :)

Oh, thank you, Heidi :rolleyes: (And apologies for being such a bad eG user this year - I've just given birth to our third baby - and my oldest is just 3 y 9 m, so I'm being kept very busy)