• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried blueberry pie

StevenC

I've bought a few pounds of fresh blueberries, and I'm trying to make fried blueberry pie for the first time. For the filling, I used the recipe from America's Test Kitchen, which calls for cooking down half the blueberries, adding some grated apple (for the pectin), and some tapioca starch. Worked perfectly--the filling was neither runny nor gelled.

The problem was with the dough. I followed another recipe's instructions for dough--the recipe was specifically for fried fruit pies--but it came out far too flaky, since it contained only shortening and no eggs. The little turnover pies were delicious, but they fell apart as we tried eating them.

Does anyone have a better recipe for fried pie dough? I think the problem with the dough was that it needed some egg in it to hold together properly.

P.S. I am NOT going to resort to canned biscuit dough, which a lot of recipes on the Internet call for.

here's a recipe i've used before with a caramelized apple filling- it makes a fair amount if i recall, you may want to halve it

25 oz ap flour

1/2 c sugar

1 tsp salt

2 TB cinnamon

1 TB ginger

1 lb cold butter

2 eggs + 2 egg yolks

1/3 to 1/2 c orange juice

mix dry. cut in butter. add eggs and liquid to form a dough. chill before rolling & filling

There was a previous discussion about fried fruit pies. It doesn't really have a dough recipe listed in it but an ingredient were listed in post #4 in the discusion. You might try PM'ing host jsmeeker so see if he ever came up with a final dough recipe:

"Fried Fruit Pies"

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver