• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carlisle Area Restaurants?

keeperrox

I'm looking for a recommendation for a nice restaurant in or around Carlisle for my anniversary. My husband and I moved here in November, and we've been completely underwhelmed. We are within walking distance to downtown Carlisle, which we were really excited about. We've been to California Cafe for lunch, Marketcross, Rillo's (way overrated), and a couple others, but have no desire to go back for this occasion, although they weren't particularly offensive in any way. I've read the menus for Cafe Bruges and Piatto, but I'm just not convinced about either one. We tend to lean towards places that are small and quaint, but have excellent food. We're both pretty adventurous eaters, as well. We're willing to drive a bit, but rather keep it on the West Shore if possible. However, if there is something in Harrisburg that fits the bill, we'd consider it. I'm tempted to just make reservations at Left Bank in York, but I'd like to see if I can find something closer to home.

You needn't go all the way to York to find great food. About a half hour south of Carlisle, Pomona's, in Biglerville, is terrific. I can't tell you what is on the menu because it changes constantly, but since you say you are adventurous diners, you will be interested to know the chef once served a dish called "Pig Face Salad." Pomona's is the only place I have ever eaten where, after one diner finished his shrimp dish, he asked that the liquid in which it was served be put in a take-home container for future enjoyment. You can't go wrong there, but be aware that it is a BYOB and that service can be leisurely because Shawn, the chef, pretty much does everything himself.

Another great choice is Sidney, in East Berlin, also about 30 minutes away.

Although is has some rough edges yet, the Green Room, next to the Carlisle Theater, has prepared some excellent food. Service has been strange, however, the two times we have been there but the place has only been open a couple of months and is still working out the kinks, I guess.

• 1 month later...

Alas, Pomona's will be no more, at least in its current incarnation. As I understand the situation, the owner wants to move to a soup/sandwich/pub food concept and the chef isn't interested in staying to prepare that kind of food and Saturday will be his last day. As a result, no more lamb's kidneys and onions, no more house-cured meats, no more grilled onions with romesco sauce, no more rabbit canneloni, no more wood-fired grilled sardines...