• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods you prefer at room temperature

heidih

• 3 weeks later...

If my family makes it...potato salad...the mayo, sweet pickle, and egg kind. We warn others it's not been refrigerated and even after sitting out 3+ hours nobody has ever gotten sick from it.

• 2 weeks later...

If my family makes it...potato salad...the mayo, sweet pickle, and egg kind. We warn others it's not been refrigerated and even after sitting out 3+ hours nobody has ever gotten sick from it.

I was thinking the same thing. I cannot count the church picnics, outtings, camps, etc. that the mayo sat out almost all day and no one got sick. While food safety is a real issue, I think some times people get too worried about it.

I thought I was the only person who likes room temp. fruit. I also like pie, cake, etc. at room temp. as well as most salads.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I think most everything tastes better when it isn't to one extreme or the other. Extremely cold, extremely hot, neither do it for me. Sure warm or chilled, but the closer to the middle you get the better I think most things taste.