• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods you prefer at room temperature

heidih

I have been making variations of stuffed grape leaves as described here and noted that I prefer them room temperature verus hot or cold. I started thinking about other dishes where the flavors are optimal at room temp. Cheese of course, and I think potato salad and tomato salads fit in there. What do you prefer room temp?

Totally agreed on grape leaves and on potato salad with vinaigrette. I also feel that way about tabbouli and salsa -- I hate cold salsa. I might also feel that way about hard boiled eggs -- need to think about those a little more.

Totally agreed on grape leaves and on potato salad with vinaigrette. I

Funny you should mention potato salad with vinaigrette- I was thinking about the mayo based one. Did you differentiate because of all the mayo = food poisoning tales?

As you mention tabbouli I am thinking that eggplant salad is also sometimes not appreciated by people because they have it cold- and hummus as well.

Butter, stinky blue cheese, stouts and porters.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Almost everything. As long as it doesn't materially suffer--melt on one end, congeal on the other--room temperature is almost always better.

+1 here. The only things I can think of that is better cold is milk, frozen goods (obviously :P) and some fresh seafood - prawns and crabs, sashimi items etc.

Fruit. Cold fruit makes my teeth hurt.

Drinking water. I forget where I read it and the specifics of it, but supposedly room/body temp water is better for you than ice-cold water.

Goes without saying room temp: maple syrup, cheeses, hummus, babaganouj, salsa, ANYthing with tomato, potato salad. Actually most salads. Perhaps most anything that should be spread, although I like cold butter on bread. I prefer carrot juice to be close to room temp.

Some fruits I like cold: watermelon, cherries, grapes, often apples. Some fruits I prefer room temp: pears, peaches, plums and apricots, citrus.

Is it just me, or have there been some weird topics lately? My tastes never struck me as terribly nutty until I started reading my own posts in some of these cold vs hot, celery vs carrots threads.

A restaurant near us got done for salmonella poisoning caused by leaving mayo out at room tempreature. Some strains of salmonella thrive in acid conditions.

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

Still water. Sparkling water at room temp is disturbing, though.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Spanish Tortilla, and anything frittata like in general. Problem I have is that they take quite a while to cool down and I start cutting myself slices while it's still hot - not as tasty, but still good and available now!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Still water. Sparkling water at room temp is disturbing, though.

Ha! I used to drink flat root beer and flat Coke at room temp, back when I drank sodas more often. I thought it made it taste sweeter. Every now and then, I still do leave my root beer out for a couple hours before consuming!

Totally agreed on grape leaves and on potato salad with vinaigrette. I

Funny you should mention potato salad with vinaigrette- I was thinking about the mayo based one. Did you differentiate because of all the mayo = food poisoning tales?

Mayo does not equal food poisoning. Compare the pH level between potatoes and commercial mayo to find the culprit.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

steamed rice...or just slightly above room temp.

Something I just learned from McGee's On Food and Cooking is that leaving cooked rice at room temperature for too long can be unsafe. Apparently raw rice often carries bacteria that can withstand high temperatures (and so survive the cooking process). The bacteria grow pretty rapidly at room temperature, so he recommends serving rice hot and refrigerating any leftovers. Or, you can add an acid (as in sushi rice or rice salads, which inhibits bacterial growth.

Something I just learned from McGee's On Food and Cooking is that leaving cooked rice at room temperature for too long can be unsafe. Apparently raw rice often carries bacteria that can withstand high temperatures (and so survive the cooking process). The bacteria grow pretty rapidly at room temperature, so he recommends serving rice hot and refrigerating any leftovers. Or, you can add an acid (as in sushi rice or rice salads, which inhibits bacterial growth.

Yup, this bacteria is what causes the "MSG syndrome" at cheap chinese places very often.

Yup, this bacteria is what causes the "MSG syndrome" at cheap chinese places very often.

MSG Syndrome or anything related to any adverse reactions to MSG are NOT the same thing. The Serve Safe coursebook identifies the cause of illness from room temperature rice as being the bacillus cereus gastroenteritis bacteria.