• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amuse Bistro - Toronto 1975A Queen St East

GordonCooks

Those who have participated in food discussions with me, have intimate knowledge of my affinity for Toronto and all its trappings. Toronto Culinary discourse will always be marked by my wonderful experiences at Perigee and Chef Patrick Riley.

So, fast forward a couple of years and alas, Perigee is no more – possibly a victim of the economy or location, maybe neither but by no means, shortcomings in the staff or quality of the food or wine program. Fast forward to 2010, Toronto is a different food city with more small plates less tasting menus, comfort foods, pizzas, etc.

Enter Amuse Bistro located in the Beaches (sorry, The Beach) area of Toronto. A quaint 30 seater with a neighborhood vibe and sensibility. Metro Toronto can be the Queen of fashionable dining, probably one of the few times I actually am conscious of my attire when choosing a restaurant. Amuse is a casual spot where jeans and a short sleeve shirt will easily pass as appropriate. Where the wow factor comes is the food. Chef Riley has pulled much from his background in fine dining to present a menu that is relevant, complex without pretension, and most of all delicious. My girlfriend, Leslie and I were happy to visit last Saturday and were also lucky enough to have Chef Riley cooks us an impromptu tasting menu. This meal was to be enjoyed and shared with my lovely companion, not dissected for empirical value but it made quite an impression on both of us. The wine program is rather new and small but interesting, a list with something for everyone. Needless to say, every dish was delicious, familiar, comforting and intellectual. Throughout the meal, each dish had wonderful layers that played either a primary or supporting role, punctuated by a sauce or texture that was playful yet appropriate. Never seeming to overdo, always leaving you wanting for more. Some pics (rather blurry ones, sorry) and probably a few words to convey the simple theme of each.

Pics and more here

The link should work although slower on the other end. It wasn't too busy the night we were there - but I guess it's been busy on the oddest nights. Probably due to it's neighborhood proximity maybe.