• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert for 50

Indirect Heat

I'm hosting a going-away party for friends, and I'm preparing a meal for 50. Gonna smoke 2 large briskets, bbq sauce, sausages, rolls, coleslaw, veggie platter and what should I make for dessert? Want it to be good, but has to scale easily (not really interested in making 50 creme brulees for example).

Ideas?

Key Lime Pies

Blazingly easy, especially if you buy the pre-made graham cracker crusts.

And, in lieu of squeezing all those small key limes, you buy the juice from these nice folks: Nellie & Joe's Key Lime Juice.

I find that juice available on the shelves of my local grocery stores.

If you buy the crusts and the juice, it's just a matter of stirring it all together, popping it in the oven for a very few minutes just to set.

And meringue can be difficult, so whip up some cream and lace it with brown sugar and a little Meyer's rum to dollop over each slice as you serve it.

Key Lime Pies are not only one of the easiest things on the planet, everybody absolutely loves it.

And it goes well with a heavy barbecue meal.

That's sure what I'd do.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'd go with fruit crisp or cobbler. You can use the large aluminum disposable pans and even frozen fruit works well, so it's very easy. People feel virtuous eating fruit and for those who want more, you can have ice cream or whipped cream to go on top.

How about a berry trifle? With the abundance of fresh berries it would delicious and it's easy to scale up. Ina Garten has a great recipe that has been well received every time I've made it: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/raspberry-orange-trifle-recipe/index.html

Good luck!

Edited by binitahp (log)

Summer Pudding: layer (sweetened) crushed fruit and crusts-off, sliced white bread in cake pans or hotel pans. Cover with plastic wrap, extending the wrap past the edges of the pans. Press, with a cutting board, and a couple of 1 lb cans. This can be done a couple of days in advance. Invert onto a board, and slice or cut into squares. Serve w/ sweetened cream, ice cream, or chilled creme fraiche.

Here's a BBC version.

Karen Dar Woon

How about rice krispie squares, except instead of cutting into squares, roll into truffle size pieces, insert a paper confection (lollypop) stick and then dip in chocolate - with enough for 50 you could do milk, white and dark, or combinations thereof - double dipping - striping -