• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Puerto Rican Cuisine NYC

jrichman

Hi All,

After just having returned from a trip to Puerto Rico I sampled some delicious puerto rican cuisine and one of my favoruites was pionono (spelling?) which was ground beef baked in a sweet plantain. Does anyone know where I can get this in the NYC area?

Thanks.

Hi All,

After just having returned from a trip to Puerto Rico I sampled some delicious puerto rican cuisine and one of my favoruites was pionono (spelling?) which was ground beef baked in a sweet plantain. Does anyone know where I can get this in the NYC area?

Thanks.

The following places serve piononos:

Salud

142 Beekman St | Btwn Front & South St

Sazon

105 Reade St | Btwn W Broadway & Church St

Bajari Cocina Latina

2253 3rd Ave | Btwn 122nd & 123rd St

Pizza Pasta Restaurant

83 Graham Ave | At Seigel St

I haven't had piononos at any of these places, so can't vouch for whether they're any good or not. I also assume that quite a few other places have them, though many don't use the actual name when referring to them. You might also ask Chowhound as you may find a more complete list.

Get a copy of a good Puerto Rican cookbook and make your own! Cocina Criolla (English version is called Puerto Rican Cookery) by Carmen Aboy Valldejuli is excellent. I bought it on my first trip to PR because I fell in love with the food. Cocina Criolla is a gem, and there are many more good ones out there.

¡Buen provecho!

Barb

Barb Cohan-Saavedra

Co-owner of Paloma Mexican Haute Cuisine, lawyer, jewelry designer, glass beadmaker, dessert-maker (I'm a lawyer who bakes, not a pastry chef), bookkeeper, payroll clerk and caffeine-addict