• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[SD] Corner of Restaurant Death

Kouign Aman

There's a nice 'space' in the parking lot of the Keil's shopping center in Clairemont.

In the past few years it has housed several restaurants, none of which survived, including a quite reasonable Japanese place (World Sushi. Not worldclass, but hey, this mall has an HomeTown Buffet - its not a picky crowd).

In the same mall is a very basic Chinese place which is certainly old enough to vote,

an expensive so-so independent coffee shop which has been around for ages, and a chain pizza place.

What causes a location to make it or not?

For those who know the area - what is it about this particular location?

Its close to the beach and bay, has ample parking, is easy to see from the main road, and is easy to get to.

What's up, doc?

And who do we know who can be pursuaded to convert it to an Indian place?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

No direct answer, but a business man I highly respect once told me to NEVER go into a space that has failed in the past. He said your chances of failing also increase.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

There's a nice 'space' in the parking lot of the Keil's shopping center in Clairemont.

In the past few years it has housed several restaurants, none of which survived, including a quite reasonable Japanese place (World Sushi. Not worldclass, but hey, this mall has an HomeTown Buffet - its not a picky crowd).

In the same mall is a very basic Chinese place which is certainly old enough to vote,

an expensive so-so independent coffee shop which has been around for ages, and a chain pizza place.

What causes a location to make it or not?

For those who know the area - what is it about this particular location?

Its close to the beach and bay, has ample parking, is easy to see from the main road, and is easy to get to.

What's up, doc?

And who do we know who can be pursuaded to convert it to an Indian place?

One factor can be the cost of the lease. Perhaps the mall owner is charging too much. A restuarant that is just squeaking by can make it or break it depending on how much they're shelling out for their monthly rental.

I Googled that location (it still lists the sushi restaurant as being there) and was surprised to see it was the old Clairmont Quad Bowling Alley shopping center. My best friend lived just down the street from there. As you said, that joint should be jumping as it's a high traffic area.

There could be a multitude of reasons why it didn't survive. The afore mentioned lease rate, food quality, price, and a lack of advertising (when the economy goes south, the first thing a business cuts out is advertising which seems counterproductive. When the economy tanks, you should advertise even more to bring in that rare customer).

There's a Roberto's/Alberto's, et al, just up the street that does great business. There are a lot of restaurant's in that immediate area so the competition is fierce.

As for getting an Indian restaurant to come in...

I'd say go to your favorite Indian restaurant and suggesting they open a second (or third or...) location, letting them know where there's an available building. You might have some success that way.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver