• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free¬†account.

Sign in to follow this  
tarko

caramelized white chocolate with seasalt!

18 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I think you have forgotten that once upon a time you were aghast that I was not a big fan of Dulcey.

And honestly, I'll probably forget again! ūüėä

• Haha 1

Melissa also does an Apricot bonbon which I have used Dulcey in. You could try that with the Cacao Barry

45 minutes ago, dhardy123 said:

Melissa also does an Apricot bonbon which I have used Dulcey in. You could try that with the Cacao Barry

That is the recipe to which I referred a few posts back--it's why I bought the Cacao Barry. Who am I to question a Melissa recipe, but I found the apricot flavor subdued, and the jasmine tea taste absent. Her use of apricot is what made me think of pairing, for example, an apricot p√Ęte de fruit with a layer of caramelized white.

On 2/9/2019 at 7:24 AM, julie99nl said:

I made an apple pie bonbon with apple compote in the top, a thin layer of caramelized white ganache with cinnamon added to taste. I used dulcey for the caramelized white. And a crunchy cookie/nut insert.

This is not a recipe I developed, but I got from my mentor so don't know the origin. I've made it twice and the original recipe with what changed the second time in parenthesis.

50 g butter

50 g water (I split this into half water half fresh lemon juice)

20 g cinnamon liquor (I did this once with fireball whiskey and found it too strong tasting, so made it a second time with apple brandy and then added a little cinnamon to the ganache layer)

300g firm apples very finely diced (I made it with granny smith for the sour that would balance all the otherwise  sweet)

5-10 gr various apple pie spices. I used some nutmeg, a clove,star anise, and a small amount of fresh grated ginger.

simmer on fairly low heat until the apples completely break down and the liquid is nearly gone. Once cool, if it's too chunky, blitz it (immersion blender) to a smaller texture.

This isn't a long lasting bonbon, though I did not test the AW, but for a one off it was tasty. It might need more experimentation and testing to bring down the AW.

@julie99nl, thanks very much for the recipe. It does sound delicious. My followup question was going to be on the shelf life, but you have dealt with that issue. My guess is that the water content is fairly high. Peter Greweling uses "apple compote" in some of his recipes and describes how to make it (which is what your recipe calls for, plus heating the applesauce in the oven until it is as dry as possible--that might help some with Aw).¬†I am already thinking about what might be done to lower the water content. Maybe some invert sugar could be added (but I notice the recipe calls for no sugar beyond what is in the apples and liquor, so that might make it too sweet). For other fruits I have experimented with making a p√Ęte de fruit using Pomona's pectin, which allows the fruit flavor to be more assertive because of the short cooking time required and also requires adding sugar, which will help with shelf life. Unfortunately these ideas will end up¬†masking some of the delicate apple flavor. I do have an excellent French apple "essence" (distilled from the fruit itself) that might help with the flavor. All this is certainly worth more thought. Thanks again for sharing the recipe.

I thought I would report back. I made the apple filling. I didn't have a liquor with apple flavoring in the house, but used vodka so as to get the effect on Aw of adding liquor. It is not a good time of year (at least in the northern hemisphere) to get flavorful apples, so this was not a taste test. I cooked the apples as much as I could to get rid of all the water I could. The Aw reading was 0.91, which, of course, is high. Jean-Pierre Wybauw writes that a ganache above 0.85 lasts for 3 weeks maximum, but I doubt that he was really envisioning a reading above 0.9 as being that safe.

I think I'll try a p√Ęte de fruit using apple pur√©e and dried apples (maybe some fresh as well, but dried usually have a stronger flavor--and obviously less liquid). It's possible to keep some texture to the fruit so as to enhance the sensation of eating apple pie.

• Like 2

I would suggest you to try microwaving the apples: peel and core the apples, cut them in dices (about 1-1.5 cm), then microwave them at full power for 5 minutes or more (this depends on your microwave and on how much apples you are cooking, so you need to make some tries). I think microwaving is the best way to cook apples, you get better taste than with the other cooking methods, plus you remove a lot of water content (the more you cook them, the more water you loose, obviously). If you are quick there's no need to use some acid to avoid oxidation. You get the best vivid yellow color in this way.

Beware that they keep cooking after you take them out of the microwave, so you need to take them out before reaching the stage of doneness you are aiming for (you need some tries to get ahold of this method).

Teo

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By eglies
      Hi there,

I am looking for a very simple vegan bonbon recipe that is just a dark ganache. I am having trouble balancing a coconut cream that has less fat than UHT cream to have a balanced recipe that can have a 3 month shelf life. My bonbon recipe had mould after one month testing.
      Anyone have any good solutions?
    • By eglies
      I need some help to balance my recipe fillings for my bonbons. Anyone have time to help me? I have based myself on Ramon Moratos %
    • By JoNorvelleWalker
      For my purposes I have mastered the art of packaging chocolate bars, but search as I might I cannot find an eGullet thread or any information on packaging chocolate eggs.  I ask as I have an egg mold in transit.  Assuming I can successfully fabricate an egg, how can I wrap or package it?  All I can think of is cellophane.

I've seen pictures so I know some of you are making eggs.  Do not deny it.  When I was little and still celebrated holidays the neighborhood candy establishment sold eggs in windowed cardboard boxes with cellophane grass*.  That was the early 1950's.  Is this still the state of the art?

*cellophane grass tastes terrible.  And the ubiquitous coconut cream filling not much better.

• By melmck
      I am searching for a natural source of food colorings, to tint buttercream, & use in chocolate work. I don't like commercial FC, it is synthetic and toxic to boot. Has anyone found a good source/vendor who has naturally derived colorings
    • By eglies
      Hi there,
      i am moving into our lab next week so excited!!!! I have one million questions but the ones popping up in my head are
      1) If I have 6 moulded bonbon recipes to airbrush, fill and cover and 6 bars recipes to make for our production,how do you organise production? Can someone give me an example of their weekly plan am and pm plan just to get an idea? I have a Selmi ūüėÄ.¬†
      2) how many bonbons and bars should I produce just before we launch? I have my budgets and projections but you know those first weeks God knows how you will do! Should I be freezing from the beginning? And what is the ideal packaging way to freeze bonbons? 

Thank you so appreciate it!