• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

fried clams

doorbell

Maybe not the best, but whole belly, historical and on the bay in Narragansett - Aunt Carrie's 1240 Ocean Road.

If you don't mind a bit of a drive past the CT state line - head to Johnny Ads on Boston Post Road in Old Saybrook CT. I rate these as some of the best in New England.

For a mystical fresh baked bread experience, seek out Daddy's Bread in Wakefield. Well off the beaten path, no sales staff. Everything is on the honor system.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 5 weeks later...

Y'all are killing me. I live in Charleston, SC but grew up (to some degree, lol) in RI. Aunt Carries rules, but have never been to Chris' suggestion. Visiting home for my parents 50th on Labor Day week-end, so may have to go get some fried clams w/ bellies and clam cakes... yummmmmmm.

FYI, here in Charleston the ruling mollusc is the oyster. Have the world's largest oyster roast (20,000 people I believe) at a historic plantation. It is always the Sun before the Superbowl- consider this an invitation :biggrin: . Looking forward to seeing what happens this year as they have traditionally used the Appalachicola oysters and curious about the effects of the BP debacle.

Tom Gengo

• 4 weeks later...