• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Poitín

aidan

My parents just came back from Ireland and brought me a water bottle filled with the family's recipe for Poitín. Anyone know of any good cocktails that incorporate this?

They operate their own still? That's pretty cool.

I would look around for any recipes that use white dog, as that is more or less what it is. Poitín can be super high-proof, though. So something with plenty of dilution, I'd think.

--

Molotov?

More seriously, I experimented with unaged rye whiskey from West Virginia in a few cocktails. I'd suggest trying some kind of sour. Try some lime juice and something sweet. You might need another accent ingredient or two for flavor. The problem is, you don't know what the proof is, so it could be tricky to get the proportions right, so a bit of trial and error will be involved.

Alternatively, you could try to get hold of a small cask and attempt to age it for a while, see what happens. That could be interesting.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

• 4 years later...

Feeling really bored tonight after dinner and out of scores of bottles I chose poitin.  Good stuff as always.  (It helps that the poitin was in the front.)  I already have my genes in a couple more generations so it doesn't really matter.  Though I am a bit concerned that my son has been flirting with poitin.  However for him I don't think it will ever replace scotch.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I posted one here a few months ago. It was, umm, OK.

As it happens I haven't made it again recently...

:cool:

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

And I would agree that recipes using white dog might be a place to start. Not that there are a lot of those either I suppose.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2