• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Conference eating in Boston area

amccomb

Hello!

My husband is going to spend a week at a conference in Boston, and was hoping for some decent restaurant recommendations. He was thinking breakfast, lunch, and bar locations somewhat close to the convention center, but they would be willing to venture further for good dinner options. Generally, they like to go to one really nice dinner - money no object - and the rest can vary. They love all kinds of food, so anything goes. Any suggestions??

Here is that address of the convention center.

John B. Hynes Memorial Convention Center

900 Boylston Street

Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Thanks!!

Amanda

First, I am no expert on Boston and wouldn't mind with help to update, add or correct anything on my Google (user content), map:Boston Area Dining, by Scargod

I have been to a few of these places, but they come recommended by more than one source and most are from respected, Boston area Chowhounds. The POI's usually include some info and hours, etc.

I hope it helps!

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

I admit that I don't eat much in the convention center/back bay area, nice as it is. There are a lot of restaurants nearby because of the convention business as well as the shopping nearby. Most are average and overpriced. Here are some I can vouch for:

Summer Shack, the smaller of Jasper White’s city clam shacks. excellent fried clams, grilled clam, oyster selection, fried chicken (really), as well as main course seafood and lobster. Very casual.

Sel de la Terre. Southern French, seasonal. Fabulous house-made breads. Small but good bar menu.

Clio. My choice for high-end in the area. French-Japanese, beautifully done. The chef also has a sushi bar next door, Uni. Great food.

Brasserie Jo. Just what it sounds like. Reliably good brasserie food, not overpriced.

Trident Booksellers and Café. Breakfast all day! Tiny café in a bookstore.

Parish Café. Go for the sandwiches.

check out other topics for best restaurant, steakhouse, and seafood recommendations. don't be afraid to venture to other neighborhoods or nearby Cambridge for dinner. Boston's actually quite small as cities go, you're not far from most places.

The Hynes is right down the street from my favorite restaurant Troquet. Good wine list, good food, great service. We go here more than any other places in Boston.

Other places we like are: Oh Ya for sushi. Morton's (at the Seaport) -pretty good steaks ask about the steak & seafood special (3 course $50). Number 9 Park.

Dan