• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

a bird in a bag is worth....

nyfirepatrolchef

Years ago, a friend really had me finally convinced he was crazy.

Told me insert the turkey in a clean brown paper bag then into the pan and oven. Just make sure the paper no touches de oven he tolls me! Dont worry he say...if you get a whif of hot paper before theys the juices running and saturating da paper.

So even without brining the succulent lil sucker....I did just what he tolls me.

Bestest lil turkey I ever et!

Course now I remember the concept of roasting a fish in parchment.

Anyone ELSE ever try this out at home?

I've been hearing about it for years but never tried it. I'd guess the effect is a little like cooking in a clay pot.

Fine Cooking had a T'giving article on this a few years ago.

How do you ensure that the paper bag isn't full of ugly chemicals?

Oh sure if youre gonna worry about little things like THAAAT...aintcha never heard the phrase BETTER LIVING THROUGH CHEMISTRY?

But seriously....I guess its just one of those things you just kinda take for granted about being safe. Actually I tend to worry more about them chemicals IN the bird than AROUND it.

Dunno if theyre still out there but years ago there were plastic oven roaster bags for chicken/turkey. The things that developed a bad reputation for doing nasty things like explode and burn and all sorts of happy stuff. But of course being some form of plastic of course they were wall to wall chemical.

Edited by nyfirepatrolchef (log)

I meant 'ugly' in the sense of 'something you wouldn't want to eat.'  I should have said 'toxic.'  Jeez, everyone's an editor around here.  :biggrin:

Shouldn't those be double rather than single quotation marks?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Dunno if theyre still out there but years ago there were plastic oven roaster bags for chicken/turkey.  The things that developed a bad reputation for doing nasty things like explode and burn and all sorts of happy stuff.  But of course being some form of plastic of course they were wall to wall chemical.

I just bought a couple of those. They were the only things I could find to put over my oregano and rosemary plants to keep them from drying out after I potted them and brought them in the house. Wood heat - dry. Damn, now I'm thinkin' there'll be a chemical stew in the air the plants are breathing. :blink: