• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Urgent: Nigella's Slut Red Raspberries in Chardonnay Jelly

Thing has been in fridge for over an hour now and is still completely liquid. Has anyone made this recipe before? I added 5 sheets of gelatine as per the instructions. Perhaps the size of the gelatine sheets she mentioned is a bit bigger and I should've added more?

Dinner party tonight so either need to save this (preferably, was a very nice bottle of chardonnay!) or need to run out and buy ice cream;)

Nyonya in The Netherlands

My Blog- Deliciously Lekker

Thing has been in fridge for over an hour now and is still completely liquid. Has anyone made this recipe before? I added 5 sheets of gelatine as per the instructions. Perhaps the size of the gelatine sheets she mentioned is a bit bigger and I should've added more?

The recipe seems to say "Allow to set in the fridge for at least 3 hours, though a day would be fine ... "

http://www.nigella.com/recipe/recipe_detail.aspx?rid=291

Don't panic, judging by the comments on that page, it seems to work reliably.

If it doesn't happen to set for you today, I'd blitz it, strain it, return it to the fridge, and then (as suggested) offer it as a fruit soup. Should taste fine ...

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

It was still completely liquid after 2.5 hours so i warmed part of it and added 2 more leaves of gelatine. We 'ate' it after 2 extra hours of chilling. It was somewhat jelly-ish but definitely not enough. I would probably add another leaf or two next time (total of 8-9 Dutch-sized gelatine leaves).

Thanks;)

Nyonya in The Netherlands

My Blog- Deliciously Lekker