• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blacks BBQ and Texas Monthly

SpaghettiWestern

OK..... now that i am living in Texas with Lockhart at my back door....i'm thinkin alot about BBQ.

I have an old copy of the 2003 TM BBQ review..... and i had a look at the 2008 review online.

Is it my imagination .... or is Blacks completely shut out of this?

maybe they got an honorable mention in the 2008 review that i might have missed but.... to NOT be mentioned at ALL in the 2003 issue ! i dont get it. what gives?

on my way down here.... i ate in some of those other places that were mentioned as VERY good and they cant even hold a candle to Blacks.... and yet.... WHERES BLACKS?

is there some kind of war going on between them and the magazine?

Blacks can have off days but .....to exclude them completely? NOOOOOO ! THAT just aint right !

so does anyone know why?

Thanks

An interesting observation which apparently no one had noticed before? The discussions of the list here on eG focused mainly on Snow's; the thread on CH about the article was very brief.

Very strange, indeed, if you ask me. I was struck in reading through the list again at an apparent editorial bias in favor of providing geographic completeness; perhaps Black's was sacrificed because it was the third place in one town?

Did you check on the TM site - don't they have discussion and feedback boards?

But I'd also reiterate that, as evidenced by how much discussion the lists engendered, few people in the know take these TM lists very seriously. Their Top 50 burgers list was particularly pathetic when it came to Houston.

I guess I haven't been to any of those CTx places since the list came out but I'd doubt Black's had fallen that far without it being noted in other threads and that doesn't explain their omission from the '03 list, anyway.

Well, I've wondered that for years. And have even asked those nice fellers behind the counter at Black's if they knew why. It seems to me that even if Black's doesn't make their top five, or ten, or whatever, I'd certainly think they'd be deserving of honorable mention somewhere.

But when I ask them about it, they just shrug their shoulders and say, "We have no idea. People ask us that all the time."

I do think that TM focuses on the other two famous places and having a third in Lockhart means another town/region gets left off entirely.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 4 weeks later...

I like Blacks. It's got a different feel/vibe to it than the other two big name places in Lockhart (Kreuz and Smitty's). It's friendly. A bit more personable. And it still turns out good BBQ. If this place were in Dallas, it would probably be the best place in the city.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"