• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Markets in Stockholm

My parents will be visiting Stockholm in about 2 weeks. I was wondering if there are any large farmers/producers markets in the city where they can pack a picnic lunch.

Thanks

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

• 2 weeks later...

hi dan

this is a really good place to start Östermalms Saluhall

stockholm is a beautiful city, with lots of interesting things to do & see, especially in summertime. make sure that they visit the old part of town:)

/magnus

/Magnus - happy amateur chocolatier

• 3 weeks later...

Generally there are no good farmers markets in Stockholm. Östermalms saluhall is good but expensive. Hötorgshallen and Hötorget which is located at the intersection of Sveavägen and Kungsgatan have more reasonable prices though some things are outrageously expensive still. Outside on the square you can buy fruit and veggies and through the entrance to the right of the cinema entrance is Hötorgshallen. Don't go on a Sunday. If they are buying fish I'd recommend going into one of the larger supermarkets. They tend to use fresh fish (and smoked fish) as one of the products to get customers to the store. Deer, hare, moose, fowl etc has a crazy markup compared to what you can buy it for in other parts of Sweden though it might still be nice to try it.

A nice a pretty cheap place to buy cheese (mainly french and italian) is Winjas at Bergsgatan 24 on Kungsholmen. It looks like the entrance to a garage but the have a good selection of cheese, and also some sausages, pasta etc. Prices are without 12% GST since they are wholesellers as well.

Some nice places to have a pickninck is Djurgården, I'd recommend taking bus number 69 to the eastermost part of the island if they want less people around. Drottningholm is also a good place and so is Ulriksdal, which also have a nice café in the park. Bergianska trädgården (a botanical garden) is another good place.

The old town is nice but do avoid Västerlångatan which is packed with tourists.

If they are going to be staying for a while I'd recommend a trip out into the archipelago. If they will be visiting other places around the Baltic sea and like food markets the biggest one is probably the Riga Central Market, I wished we had a big market like that in Stockholm.

Östermalms Saluhall has a remarkable selection of everything and is worth the vist to simply take in the view and smells. Fish, produce, meats, baked goods, everything from smoked reindeer sausage to bleak roe. It is pricey. It also has a few good restaurants, including a popular vegetarian place on the second floor. The Humlegarden park is nearby and many folks sit there to have picnics or a few drinks before heading to the nearby night clubs.

The Hemkop (add two dots over the "o") grocery store in the basement of the Ahleans (add a circle over the "A") department store also has a good selection and is very close to the central subway/train station. The NK department store also has a decent, if pricey store in its basement with good take out (Swedes say "take away" or "ta med") and also has a state liquor store (System Bolaget) in the same building where one can buy wine. Because of the high price of liquor in restaurants, many Swedes sit outside and have well-lubricated picnics when the weather permits.

The Pris Extra warehouse grocery stores (several in various locations) are good for staples, but are harder to reach.

For pastries and baked goods, don't miss Tosse (add two dots over the "o"). They also sell sandwiches and salads.

If you get fat from it all and feel a need to work/sweat it off, there are miles of running paths and/or spring for a workout and sauna at Centralbadet (Art Nouveau bath and gym--closed for renovation, reopening in Fall 2010).