• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If you were a chef visiting L.A. for 5 days, where would you eat?

themicrocosm

Me and my girlfriend are taking a trip to L.A. from Chicago and are trying to plan out each meal because we're so short on time. We have 4 nights in L.A., and one in the Santa Ynez Valley. So far, I'm thinking Gjelina for dinner one night, dinner at Los Olivos in Santa Ynez (root 246 is closed the two days I'll be there) lunch at Kogibbw.com, and dinner at The Bazaar. Where else do I need to try? I know it's not too specific, but I'm ok with fine dining, tiny authentic ethnic spots, high-end sushi, whatever. What places should I not leave L.A. without trying? I've looked on the board and seen some recommendations (its how I found out about Gjelina) but I'd like some more up to date suggestions. Thanks so much!

The most expensive/high end sushi restaurant in the L.A. area is Urasawa in Beverly Hills, at 218 N. Rodeo Dr.. Worth a visit if your budget stretches that far.

Others considered in the top 10 dining destinations ar Valentino, Italian resto in Santa Monica and Mellisse, French/California cuisine in West L.A.

For real "ethnic", some excellent restos in all the following locations: Chinese in Monterey Park, excellent Korean in "Korea Town", so-called "Thai Town" in a few block area on Hollywood Blvd. and in the north San Fernando Valley.

LOL, maybe you should think about spending a month here!

Jitlada, on Sunset in Thai Town. The Southern Thai menu is not to be missed--everything on it is great. Try the khua kling with lamb, and the green curry with fishballs stuffed with salted egg yolks.

"Degenerates. Degenerates. They'll all turn into monkeys." --Zizek on vegetarians

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Unfortunately, Urasawa is way too expensive for us. I've also heard that there is sushi in L.A. that is just as good for half the price. What's the best affordable sushi in L.A.? By affordable, I mean maybe 75-100 per person as opposed to 300 per person. Mellisse and Providence seem really nice too but also seem a bit expensive for us. It seems like most of the notable fine dining spots in L.A. are that expensive, whereas in Chicago a lot of the best fine dining is way more affordable. Jitlada sounds great. I lived/worked in Thailand for a while and haven't been to a good southern thai place in the states so I'm curious to see what its like here. Keep the recommendations coming, I appreciate all the suggestions!

So this might be an odd suggestion, but there's a small place in Studio City called The Baked Potato.

It's part music club (rock and jazz, I think) part restaurant...kind of cabaret style.

All of their entrees are served on or in a giant baked potato. You can get everything from simple melted cheese to marinated steak or chicken parm...on a potato.

I have dinned there once and it was an interesting/fun experience (also because I'm a music fan).

Here's a link to their menu and website to give you a better idea. The Baked Potato

It's not exactly gourmet, but it's a good time...and the potatoes are bigger than any you've ever seen.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Unfortunately, Urasawa is way too expensive for us. I've also heard that there is sushi in L.A. that is just as good for half the price. What's the best affordable sushi in L.A.? By affordable, I mean maybe 75-100 per person as opposed to 300 per person. Mellisse and Providence seem really nice too but also seem a bit expensive for us. It seems like most of the notable fine dining spots in L.A. are that expensive, whereas in Chicago a lot of the best fine dining is way more affordable. Jitlada sounds great. I lived/worked in Thailand for a while and haven't been to a good southern thai place in the states so I'm curious to see what its like here. Keep the recommendations coming, I appreciate all the suggestions!

The place I believe you are thinking of that is half the price of Urasawa is Katsu-Ya. I would also recommend Shin-Sen-Gumi in Gardena for outstanding (I mean, TRULY outstanding) yakitori. Always a wait and always worth it.

Thanks, Katsu-Ya looks great, as does Shin-Sen-Gumi. I know about The Baked Potato because of some musicians i like who play there regularly and thought about checking it out, but it would be for the music, not the potatoes :) If I go to one sushi restaurant and want an omakase or tasting menu for 100 or under, is Katsu-Ya the best? It looks pretty solid.

What? Nobody recommended Mozza? That's the place to go if you want to sample some Nancy Silverton/Mario Batali and, to keep more with your budget, it's the Cafe you want. Also, some folks can better recommend than I what choices you might want for "latin" type food whether that's from different regions of Mexico, or different countries in Central America. Of course, Pink's on La Brea is classic for hot dogs or Father's Office (original location on Montana Ave in Santa Monica or the newer location in Culver City) for an upscale burger. Of course, if you're a chef and at Father's Office in Culver City, wander down the block to Surfas for the very best ever supply warehouse. You could blow your whole food budget there.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm actually not a fan of Mozza. I tried their pizza, and I just couldn't stand it at all. It's very greasy and oily, with odd flavor combos like squash blossoms.

Playing off some of the suggestions JFinLA gave, I'd say Umami Burger is a great place for the whole gourmet burger scene, though I'd agree that Father's Office is the most classic. Also, I'm not a big fan of Pink's--it will not compare to your hot dogs in Chicago at all (I've eaten dogs in both Chicago and LA).

If you want Mexican food, try checking out Border Grill for some of the more innovative fare at a decent price.

Edmund Mokhtarian

Food and Wine Blogger

http://www.thefoodbuster.com