• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sonic Drive-In

Chris Hennes

Sonic Drive-In is based here in Oklahoma City (in fact I was at their headquarters not two hours ago), so I feel like I should have some loyalty to the local company, eat at their place occasionally, etc. That, and they just opened a new location near me that makes them the most convenient food option when I am driving around near home. So finally, a few weeks ago, I stopped by. And have continued stopping by on occasion as I am out. But not because it's actually any good: as near as I can tell, everything on their menu is actually pretty crappy. But the convenience!! Surely there must be something worth eating at the Sonic, right? What is it? It's sure as hell not their bacon cheeseburger (today's mistake) or their fries (that was last week, they are terrible).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

There was one where I used to live. That was about 12 years ago so I don't know how much has changed. I usually only went there for the peanut butter shake or the banana shake. Both were made by simply blending peanut butter or fresh banana with vanilla ice cream and milk. I had the jalapeno cheeseburger a few times. Nothing to get excited about burger-wise but the simplicity of a burger, cheese, mustard and jalapeno slices in a bun was actually pretty tasty. I still make them sometimes, using a good burger makes it even better.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Sonic used to be a standby for me, as my youngest liked -- and this seems to be the trend on this topic -- the beverages. It's nice that they offer tots (executed reasonably well), and that's usually how I spent my dollar. But I think the real problem with Sonic is that they're like those restaurants that offer Chinese, sushi, wings, teriyaki and gyros (yes, there's one near me): they try to do so many things that they end up not doing anything very well.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I can think of at least 6 Sonic stores within 20 minutes of my house, so I guess they're pretty popular around here.

The actual food is pretty mediocre to me. I don't like their burgers and the onion rings have this weird bitter aftertaste.

I do like their Limeades and shakes and the tots are okay. For me they're a place to go for a snack, not to actually eat.

It turns out there's a Sonic right near our friends in New Jersey and we're visiting them tomorrow. Any tips on what to order on what may be my one Sonic experience for the next decade?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Hell yes, you eat in your car. Car hops are universally cool, especially at institutions like the Varsity in Atlanta. Plus you can listen to your music and nibble on your droppings on the way home. More to the point, it is part of Americana that needs to be sustained. Thanks to Sonic and a few others, drive-ins never went totally away. Bowling has been back for a while. Next, maybe, drive-in movies. Now that's a Saturday night!

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I happen to like the "cottage-cut" fries. Maybe that's just an oddball fry that they do at our local franchise. The limeade is good and so is the cherry cola (and sticky sweet for sure). And of course watching their 2010 version of a car hop on roller skates is pretty entertaining. I have to say they were really fast and really adept on those skates at the Sonic Drive-In I went to--albeit I've only gone twice.

The one time I went to a Sonic, in Kansas City, I only had a beverage. It was across the parking lot from my motel, and I was thirsty. I must say, judging only on beverages, Sonic did a better job than any chain I've been to. Not only is the selection of soft drinks pretty amazing, but also they have really good ice. So I'll be interested to try the food, which seems less promising.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Sonic was voted "Best Happy Hour" by the readers of the Oklahoma City paper this past year. Made me want to cry, but maybe there's something to it.

"Best Happy Hour?" I do get happy about hamburges, fries and soda, but not really at Sonic--and I thought the term "Happy Hour" involved booze?

The burger I had at a new Sonic in NJ was...Fine... the lettuce and tomato were very fresh and quite cold, so cold they promptly made that side of the burger cold. The jalepeno poppers were serviceable and they have Tater Tots. Haven't been back

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

"Best Happy Hour?" I do get happy about hamburges, fries and soda, but not really at Sonic--and I thought the term "Happy Hour" involved booze?

Yeah, well... welcome to Oklahoma. Sonic does have a "happy hour": they have half-price drinks and slushies every day from 2-4pm. And a dedicated Facebook page.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

As a kid raised on A&W Root Beer stands, sometimes I get a real craving for a chili dog and root beer float. I think Sonic's chili dogs are fine. I don't like that runny orange stuff they call "cheese," though. But I never liked actual cheese on my chili dogs either, so I just tell them to leave that off. I have the chili dog with mustard and onions, and either a root beer float or, if I'm trying to "cut back" a bit, a cherry limeade.

A pretty fine junk meal.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The fish sandwiches are pretty good as far as junk food goes, but they are only available in my area during Lent, and after Easter, until they run out of the fish fillets.

Their fountain drinks and pellet ice are just the best - happy hour is 2-4. Drinks are half price.

Stop Family Violence

We never did make it to Sonic today. I tried to convince my son to go. I explained to him that they bring the food right to the car ("PJ, now we're going to go to the greatest restaurant in all of New Jersey. They bring the food to you in your car.") and he was like, "So what?" He chose to stay inside and play my friend Larry's bass guitar. Maybe next time.

I hade a Coney today for lunch. Not awful. Better than their burgers, in my opinion. It's not a great hotdog, but it's definitely edible. I agree that the bun is clearly microwaved, but I actually don't object to that texture. If the option is microwaved or cold, I'll take microwaved: it's an OK facsimile of a steamed bun.

I also had a lime limeade, which tasted a bit more like a Sprite than I would have preferred: they are made with real lime juice, so I was hoping more of that tartness would come through. Oh well.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org