• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dr. Pepper prescribes sugar

brucesw

For its 125th anniversary, Dr. Pepper is putting the sugar back in. Dublin Dr. Pepper (made with Imperial Cane Sugar) has been available in a few retail locations around Texas, anyway, but now the company is rolling it out on a wider basis.

AP News story

It's really subtle, but you can tell the difference between the cane and high fructose ones. It's not as big as I had hoped. Mexican coke is cane sugar and so is throwback pepsi. I would always opt for the cane if possible. Costco sells mexican coke year round.

Edited by JWangSDC (log)

My friend got Mountain Dew with the real sugar. He said it didn't taste any different.

I had Pepsi Throwback (made with sugar and, supposedly, a '70s recipe). It tasted a LOT different, in a good way.

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

Haven't had Mountain Dew but a few times in my life and not in a long time so I probably wouldn't know if there was any difference and I don't get that much difference with Mexican Coke, which is widely available here, but I remember the first time I had Dublin Dr. Pepper a few years ago it was a real Wow! experience. I generally like cane sugar sodas over hfcs if there's an option.

I've never gotten around to trying the Pepsi products - just don't drink that much soda, anyway.