• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Visiting Minnesota; Twin Cities and Tofte/Grand Marais

My wife and I are going to be visiting the Twin Cities as well as Tofte, MN for the July 4th weekend.

We are interested in good solid ethnic food and are not particularly interested in fancy/romantic decor, or wine lists.

We both love ethnic restaurants (Asian, Middle Eastern, Latin American, Eastern European, African, Carribean, etc.)and markets, and we are very interested restaurants or other food stores/markets/shops that feature local foods.

Our budget is between $40-70 a meal.

Alas, I've never been to the Twin Cities, but Ms. Alex, on her last visit, very much liked Babani's Kurdish Restaurant in St. Paul.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Minneapolis has a large Somali population. I haven't been to any Somali restaurants but I would do some research on that topic, if that is the type of thing that appeals to you.

Not in an ethnic category, but my favorite place for breakfast in the country is located downtown: Hell's Kitchen. Love their wild rice porridge, among other things.

Here is another endorsement for Hell's Kitchen.

Try their house peanut butter!

For ethnic, try Emily's Lebanese -- way under your budget, little atmosphere, but good food.

Edited by baroness (log)

Today we went to Jazmine Deli (2532 Nicollet Avenue, Mpls) for a solid meal of Vietnamese Banh Minh (roast chicken and pork), Iced coffee, spring rolls. The quality of the roast meat and freshness of cilantro, pickles were good; however, I missed the the spicyness and the quantity of pickles and cilatro, as well as the freshness of the bread of Saigon Bakery.

This area, dubbed 'Eat Street,' has several ethnic prospects that we may enjoy in the next week.

We just arrived in Tofte this evening, and may try Naniboujou Lodge or Chez Jude in Grand Marais in the next few days.

Thanks again for the excellent recommendations(I did have the opportunity to go to Emily's several years ago, and it was great).

• 3 weeks later...

We went to Chez Jude My link and the Angry Trout My link for dinner two nights. On both evenings we chose the trout. Both were excellent.

In particular, the trout was incredibly fresh and flavorful, and the accompaniments, as well as summer Salad at Chez Jude were outstanding. The desserts (Tiramisu Cake and Rhubarb tart)were great. Very nice service as well.

I highly recommend Chez Jude for a white table cloth dinning experience on the Superior shore.

We also enjoyed Java Moose Coffee [218 W Highway 61

Grand Marais, MN 55604] and Wold's Best doughnuts My link

• 3 months later...

I'm late to the party, but I'm a regular traveler to the Twin Cities. Some of my favorites are:

Peninsula (Malaysian)

http://www.peninsulamalaysiancuisine.com/

Qoraxlow (Somali) Doesn't have a website, but I'm talking about the one on Lake St.:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=qoraxlow+minneapolis&fb=1&gl=us&hq=qoraxlow&hnear=Minneapolis,+MN&cid=17439904221102145333

Pho Tau Bay (Vietnamese)

http://www.photaubay.us/

• 3 months later...

I was just there this past weekend, try Travil in Robbinsdale. Very good and unique. No website, no reservations, and all the chefs serve the food. But the main chefs are very experienced (one worked at Bouchon in Napa).

P. Channon

pchannon.blogspot.com

@PChannonC

Is the public transportation in the Twin Cities good enough to get to most of these Twin Cities locations, from the area around the University of Minnesota campus?

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Is the public transportation in the Twin Cities good enough to get to most of these Twin Cities locations, from the area around the University of Minnesota campus?

MelissaH

There is a fairly extensive bus system; also some light rail. Here's their transit website: Click Me!

MelissaH

IMO...no, I would rent a car.

P. Channon

pchannon.blogspot.com

@PChannonC