• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dordogne: Seeking Advice for Ferme Auberge & Marché Nocturne

John DePaula

I'm visiting Dordogne in late summer and would appreciate any current recommendations for a good Ferme Auberge and a fun Marché Nocturne.

I'll be staying in the Sarlat/Le Bugue/Trémolat area.

Thanks in advance.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

My fave ferme-auberge around there is le Taulado in the tiny village of Sireuil outside Les Eyzies, very near the prehistoric cave Font de Gaumes. My fave dishes there are foie gras mi cuit, salades aux gésiers, aiguillettes, pommes salardaises, omelettes with in-season mushrooms, or in-season truffles. Must book ahead.

Le Taulado, Sireuil La Genèbre

24620 EYZIES DE TAYAC (LES)

Tél. : 0553296763 - Fax : 0553596442

Another excellent ferme-auberge, a little further away but maybe better, is the Ferme Calvel in Bougayrou in Lacave, in northern Lot not far from Souillac. It has a menu starting with soupe de campagne, then a choice of duck or lamb (both great), pommes salardaises (different from the Taulado preparation and may be even better), etc. LE BOUGAYROU 46200 LACAVE Tel: 05 6537 8720.

Forgive me for being repetitive. Every time I go to the Ferme Calvel - and with such great pleasure, - the place is full full full. Don't forget that for these farms, the resto part is a side busyness. You must book ahead.

We were just there 2 weeks ago, in the middle of the flooding. It was great revenge to pig out while the river Dordogne rose.

"late summer"? The marchés nocturnes are mostly a July-August thing.The last Saturday of August, Monpazier has a marché nocturne. I have been to Monpazier but not to the MN; sounds like great fun.

Plus every Tuesday night at Eymet in the summer. Best to check with the towns'/villages' mairie.

Edited by Parigi (log)

Thanks for the recs, Parigi. Le Taulado sounds perfect. Can't wait for this trip!

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Ooo, ouch, on second thought I'm never going to get the group to go for a €65 menu. Perhaps something in the €35-40 range?

John DePaula
--------------------

Well, I stand corrected. Can't for the life of me find the site that referenced the €65 figure...

€25, wine incl., sounds just great!

John DePaula
--------------------