• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

mkayahara

mkayahara

Thanks, both, for your replies. This hasn't turned up in my local liquor monopoly yet, so I guess we'll see if it does.

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The sample I tasted was sweet as well but otherwise a bit light and to be honest, bland, so I didn't get a bottle.

The description sounds a bit like Suntory's Toki, which was also developed for the North American market. While not a bad whisky, per se, it also isn't as good as some of the better Japanese labels. (Though, to be honest, I didn't find the current NAS bottling of Yamazaki to be all that compelling, either.) It certainly seems like there's some "capitalizing on interest in the category" going on.

mkayahara

mkayahara

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The sample I tasted was sweet as well but otherwise a bit light and to be honest, bland, so I didn't get a bottle.

Thanks, both, for your replies. This hasn't turned up in my local liquor monopoly yet, so I guess we'll see if it does. The description sounds a bit like Suntory's Toki, which was also developed for the North American market. While not a bad whisky, per se, it also isn't as good as some of the better Japanese labels. (Though, to be honest, I didn't find the current NAS bottling of Yamazaki to be all that compelling, either.) It certainly seems like there's some "capitalizing on interest in the category" going on.