• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying sausage that can travel

Hi all,

I'm new to Austin. I think tomorrow I'm going to drive out to Elgin to try the sausage. Do you guys know of any places that sell packaged sausage that will survive a 5 hour flight?

Thanks.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. The two well-known places in Elgin will serve sausage on their cue plates but both have meat cases in store where you can buy the products to take home; these will be already smoked and chilled and will easily survive the trip. You'll be able to buy loose rings and links or the pre-packaged, shrink wrapped packages like you would find in a supermarket. If you're going to drive out there then get the loose ones - they'll be a little fresher and a little better.

But it's not absolutely necessary to drive out to Elgin (not that it's a long way) to pick some of these up - they'll be available in supermarkets all over Austin along with a few other Texas and Central Texas made sausages.

Southside Market was the original 'Elgin Hot Guts' sausage maker. It's still referred to by old timers as such though the recipes have been changed to include less fat and spice, dang it.

Meyer's is the more recent producer. I personally prefer Meyer's a bit.

There are also a couple of sausage companies in Austin that I've never tried yet.

Hudson's on South Congress, near one of the big groupings of food trailers. I kept passing by this one the last time I was up there and never stopped and I'm kicking myself now that I've looked at the website. Wild boar, venison....

And Smokey Denmark. I'm having a little trouble with that website but I'm assuming they're still in business.