• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How long can I marinate beef?

Eatmywords

For sure this doesn't belong here but I couldn't find the thread on "you know it's gone bad when….."

Anyway, since Saturday I've been marinating a 2lb sirloin in a concoction of generic (Kraft) bbk sc, soy, hoisin, sweet chili sc, worstershire and fresh garlic (no added salt but it has a fair amt from the ingredients if that helps). It's been sitting in a sealed tupperware in the fridge (of course).

How long would you say it's good for? (It doesn't smell or look bad but since it's taken on the smells and look of the marinade how would I be able to tell? Thanks all in advance

That wasn't chicken

The question realty hinges on how fresh the meat was when you put it in the marinade. Was there any use-by-date on the meat? Salt preserves it doesn't rejuvenate. If you would have been happy cooking the meat unmarinated given the time it has been in the fridge, go for it. If not, don't.

On a separate point, acid in marinades can turn meat mushy if it is marinated too long. It may be safe but not appealing.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Acidity and salt both don't fare well in "marinades". The meat is probably wholesome, but wont likely taste good.

Even if the large amounts of sugar, salt, and acid retard bacterial growth, they wont stop the meat from aging and developing off flavors in this case.

I intended on preparing it tonight but plans changed and ended up making it last night. Didn't have much time as we had an errand to run so I seared it quickly in pan. Grilling/broiling would have been obviously been the preferred method. It came out very nice. Not as good as those I marrinated for only 24hrs but those were done on the grill. And not mushy at all. The meat was very fresh from Fairway (a gourmet supermarket of sorts known for having close to if not butcher quality - not pre-packaged with a spoil date) . Thx for the feedback.

That wasn't chicken

marinades even with protein ingesting enzymes (papaya, ginger, etc ) will only penetrate meats 1mm per 3-4 hours unless injected well into the meats surface.

That being said, it has always been the consensus that marinades, particularly ones with alcohol dry meat out, toughen it, and in general have a deleterious effect. I never marinade meat, particularly if its a good cut - I will rub it down with a spice blend and some salt and then let the heat work it's magic.

The only exception would be with extremely tough cuts, like shoulders and briskets, but I use enzymes, which work 5X faster at temps above 65°C to break up proteins.

Edited by Wonderkitchen (log)