• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dufflet Pastries, Toronto

A friend gave me a box of Dufflet Small Indulgences 'Bittersweet Chocolate Crackle' for my birthday. My DH was so impressed, he had me look up the company online. It seems to be quite large and has an impressive array of goodies for sale.

Has anyone tried any of the products?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

20+ years ago, I loved Dufflet's dacquoise and florentines. It was a much smaller operation back then, so I think they took more care in making their goods.

The last time I had anything from Dufflet's was 10-ish years ago. What I had was OK, but it didn't impress me as much as it had so long ago. Whether that was because the quality had indeed changed, or because my tastes had changed, I do not know.

T'was ever thus unfortunately. Thanks for the answers. Will not make a special effort to get there on my next (forced) trip to the big GTA.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I love the Crackle from Dufflet. I'm especially addicted to the maple cashew flavour! As for their baked goods - I highly recommend the carrot cake and any of their mini tarts... I've never had a problem with their stuff. I live right near a beautiful French bakery but I still go to Dufflet for when I'm feeling like more homey stuff. And when someone mentions massed produced, I think of all those creepy fluorescent cakes at grocery stores full of oils, preservatives & artificial colours! Dufflet is definitely NOT that.

If I ever need to purchase pastries, it's always been from Rahier - if that helps.

Francois and his staff put out some winning pastries for sure!

Loved the Dufflet Caramel dacqouis years ago - but haven't tried it for ages.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)