• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best barbeque towns in Lousiana?

nathanm

I am making a map of regional barbeque in the United States. On the map I will highlight towns that are famous for barbeque. I have a list of quite a few in the southeast, but at present I don't have any for Louisana or Mississippi. There must be some.

The point of the map is to show where regional barbeque styles come from. Basically to qualify the town has to have at least one really great barbeque place.

Thanks for your help!

Nathan

OK, I just didn't want to offend anybody if the map has zero places in Lousisana marked. I know that New Orleans is not a BBQ destination, but I thought that someplace near the Texas, Arkansas or Mississippi borders might be more in tune with the rest of the south.

Nathan

OK, I just didn't want to offend anybody if the map has zero places in Lousisana marked. I know that New Orleans is not a BBQ destination, but I thought that someplace near the Texas, Arkansas or Mississippi borders might be more in tune with the rest of the south.

That could be, but I don't know that region well.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

In southwest Louisiana, look for barbecue at places where they say they serve Creole, which means something very different there than in New Orleans. There are some places in Lafayette, for instance. Laura's, where you might get Cajun rice dressing along with your barbecue chicken. Dwight's in Lafayette is very popular for barbecue but only on Sundays. There must be some barbecue in Baton Rouge, too, but I am not familiar with it. Louisiana may not be Texas nor Memphis when it comes to barbecue, but it's probably more unique for its sides, in my opinion.

Scorpio

You'll be surprised to find out that Congress is empowered to forcibly sublet your apartment for the summer.

• 4 weeks later...