• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

on a fresh & authentic Lobster Roll hunt...

Randi

Hey folks,

I know of several places to get fresh lobster rolls by the shore but a friend asked me where she could go to find them closer to home. She lives in Newark, works in Piscataway, and I am in Colonia.

I saw that The Barge in Perth Amboy has "lobster salad" on their lunch menu but I think that is a green salad with lobster meat on top. She called and asked if they have a lobster roll, and they said they would make one for her. She picked it up, and she said it was awful.

She has asked that it be cold, with mayo. It was still hot, with way too much (hot) mayo, and served on a hard roll. She didn't like it at all.

Anyone have any suggestions where we can go that is nearby? I know of places with lobsters (e.g. all the Portuguese restaurants) but they don't have authentic lobster rolls.

Help! :)

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Thanks!

From what I can tell, you have them on Fridays for dinner? She needs to order in advance, right?

Edited by Randi (log)

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Toast Restaurant in Montclair (breakfast/lunch/brunch place) has a lobster roll on the menu, though I haven't tried it and cannot speak to the authenticity:

Lobster Roll

Fresh lobster meat lightly tossed with a little mayo and a little lemon, served on a traditional

grilled roll, hot melted butter on the side $15.95

If you want to make a short road trip to Philly, we have them on the menu at Oyster House. And I'll make you a cocktail if I'm behind the bar that day.

oyster-house-lobster-roll1.jpg

Not inexpensive at $26, but there's a whole mess of lobster in the roll, lightly dressed with mayo and lemon. Toasted roll. Fairly authentic except for the split top roll. We tried those at first, but they fell apart under the weight of the lobster salad. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks worshipf and Katie. I just saw your posts tonight. They both sound great!

My lobstah-lovin' friend signed up for eGullet today so she'll be able to respond herself soon enough.

Edited by Randi (log)