• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tales 2010 Bottle Exchange?

J_Ozzy

Is there any interest among Tales of the Cocktail attendees in swapping a bottle or two?

As product availability varies from region-to-region, it seems that Tales would provide a suitable hub to make this happen.

There's a decent selection of things that can be bought locally from Vieux Carre, Martin's and Dorignac's in New Orleans, but a fair number of products are not available.

For those of us flying in internationally, my understanding is that US Customs allows for 1L of declared spirits duty-free (someone please correct me if I am mistaken).

accordingly,

I can offer up to three standard half bottles (or 1 standard and one half) from the following catalogs:

LCBO (select "LCBO&Vintages" radio button for widest results)

SAQ

Alberta Liquor

I can source products from the first two catalogs until July 1st, after which only products from the 3rd catalog are available to me.

I'd be interested in things like:

Junipero Gin

Rittenhouse Bonded

Laird's Bonded

Plymouth Sloe Gin

Cooper Creme Yvette

Toriani Amer

Kuchan Barrel Aged Peach Brandy

and pretty much anything Haus Alpenz imports

feel free to pm me if you find something you'd like, or post your own list.

J_OZZY I cant make it to tales this year but was excited to see you live in Cowtown. Do you work in the industry in town?

Sorry to hijack your thread. Then again I do have a few extra bottles of bitters we could trade.

I'd be interested in things like:

Junipero Gin

Rittenhouse Bonded

Laird's Bonded

Plymouth Sloe Gin

Cooper Creme Yvette

Toriani Amer

Kuchan Barrel Aged Peach Brandy

and pretty much anything Haus Alpenz imports

feel free to pm me if you find something you'd like, or post your own list.

Rittenhouse Bonded is available retail in New Orleans, as are several of the Haus Alpenz products. Pretty sure I've seen Junipero, but I'm not certain.

The liquor store in the French Quarter is called Vieux Carre. Don't know what they carry, because I don't shop there often:

Vieux Carre WIne and Spirits

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

that's good news, Todd.

I couldn't find the aforementioned two year ago, so my recollection (along with the Martin's wine cellar website) was the basis for my list(email inquiries to Dorignac's have gone unanswered).

Selection in New Orleans has improved significantly over the last year. Your best bet is to stop at either Martin Wine Cellar or Dorignacs grocery. Both in Metairie, which is a long way from the Quarter. On the other hand, you could make a stop on the trip to the airport.

The liquor store in the French Quarter is called Vieux Carre. Don't know what they carry, because I don't shop there often:

Vieux Carre WIne and Spirits

Since you'll be in the neighborhood, you probably should stop in. The overall selection isn't jaw-dropping, but I haven't yet been there when I didn't find something interesting, even if it was just a 1.75 of Flor de Cana 4-year old for like nine bucks (the owner made it even more interesting by throwing in a bottle of Pineau de Charentes). They also deliver to French Quarter hotels for no extra charge -- a blessing if you buy a case of stuff and don't fancy lugging it through the crowds in the heat.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

apparently my last reply didn't post.

Martin Wine Cellars has a closer location and an amazing selection. WINO (wine institute) is also close and fabulous, with great stock in the back and an awesome wine bar. Cork & Bottle kicks ass too. After 2 -3 days of tales of citrus you'll want some balance so please visit these folks so you can go back in stride.

If looking to buy, US and local/or goods please please please call ahead. Its the best thing you can do for the retailer (and local economy) to give advance notice of your requests. And for those of you seeking ours (and trade friend) wares, thank you.

And as much as you visit TOTC for spirits, please keep in mind our friends in the NOLA wine trade that deserve our support in these challenging times.

Yes, how could I forget Cork and Bottle. Great shop with a nice selection.

There is a Martin Wine Cellar on Magazine Street, which is closer to the French Quarter. It's quite small, though, compared to the shop in Metairie. If you call ahead, they can send anything over to the Magazine Street location.

I like this idea. Anyone interested in trading for more regional or obscure bottles?

I'll be coming up to Tales from the Virgin Islands and plan on bringing some locally made Mammawanna.

Anyone interested?

Jesse

Rum, it's what's for dinner....

• 2 weeks later...

In a similar vein to Jesse, I've got maple syrup eaux-de-vie, Quebec apple brandy, Taboo Absinthe and old-formula Campari as my local offerings

• 2 weeks later...

Well, since there's no takers, the Quebec apple Brandy and the maple syrup eau-de-vie will be making an appearance at the Tuesday Taste event.

See you there :)

J_Ozzy:

Those sound interesting. I'll be there too with a bottle of my house made aquavit (assuming UPS is on time). I'll swap you a couple of tastes. The maple eau-de-vie isn't the Sortilege, is it??

See you Tuesday! :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Hi Katie,

Same producer, but not Sortilege (which has always struck me as maple sweetened whisky).

It's the real deal; fermented maple syrup, distilled & aged :)

mkayahara, Nothing wrong with Sortilege, I'm a fan of all well-crafted maple products :)

Just a quick thank-you to everyone who chimed in.

I managed to find most of what I was looking for, and got to at least taste many I didn't find at retail.

Katie, Your aquavit was wonderfully complex, layered with flavours without losing its nordic presence.

Jesse, Thanks again for the coconut bitters, an unexpected windfall that I will cherish.

Thanks J_Ozzy! Maple spirit was lovely too. But it was that crazy line up of bourbons that really put a dent in my day, LOL! Since my plane was delayed and I arrived a bit later than planned, sadly my aquavit wasn't refrigerated in time (aside: although I'd called my hotel in advance and asked them to put my package in the freezer when my flight got delayed in Cincinnatti. I can only imagine that they believed I was black market trafficking in human organs or something...) so when I arrived late and had to throw it on the ice, by the time it was cold enough to serve some folks had left. I ended up with half the bottle left over. Rather than see my handiwork get tossed down the drain I brought it back to my hotel and donated it to Chris Carlsson who was attending a vodka tasting with an unknown band of Swedes a couple of days later. I still haven't gotten a report back as to how it was received. Chris?? You out there? How'd the Swedes like the aquavit? I managed to make a Bloody Viking out of a bit of it before turning the rest over to Chris and the folks that tried that really loved it. It makes for a particularly savory and delicious Bloody variant.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Katie,

The Swedes were very touched at your thoughtfulness -"The only person who brought us a present!" - and loved every drop! They were quite fascinated that an American made Aquavit and led to a animated conversation (in Swedish mostly) and the bottle was consumed in a appreciative way in fairly short order. You missed some fascinating single vintage/single variety potato vodkas by the way - and yes each one was drastically different from each other .

The Pleasures of Exile are Imperfect at Best, At Worst They Rot the Liver.

Spirits Review.com

Actually you can bring a lot more than 1 liter in. Duty is about $1.50 a liter and they don't like to make change - so you can usually get through with 10-12 bottles no problem.(If it's under $800 worth they usually tell you to keep moving)

Edited by Dangermonkey (log)

The Pleasures of Exile are Imperfect at Best, At Worst They Rot the Liver.

Spirits Review.com