• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for some good Napa Valley value reds

The Food Buster

Hello everyone,

I'm planning on heading out to Napa Valley later this summer, and I want to get a good experience of the types of wines the region produces before I head out, so that I can be a bit more knowledgeable before doing my tastings.

Does anyone have some suggestions for some really solid wineries or, even better, of any specific wines that I should give a shot? I really don't have a preference as to the varietal.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Edmund Mokhtarian

Food and Wine Blogger

http://www.thefoodbuster.com

Hi

I would suggest going via the silverado wine trail. Some wineries I personally enjoy are ZD Wines, Chimney Rock, Clos du Val, Dry Creek Vineyards and Teldeschi. these wineries are within a few miles of each other they are not very commercialized and IMHO still really reflect the Napa terroir well. Download the map from silverado wine trail website.

Good luck and enjoy

I'm a plant-rights activist... I only eat meat!

In my too infrequent cross country trips SFO and Napa, I have found a couple of favorites.

Black Stallion is a relatively new place, but their premium bottle is over a hundred bucks. Nice place and nice people. They send me a couple of bottles every other month. Usually good stuff.

Hess Winery is at the top of Mount Veeder in southern Napa valley. It occupies an old monastary with some 100 year old vines. Upstairs is two floors of art gallery. Some big money stuff, too. A twenty foot square Frank Stella metal collage among other goodies.

Hi,

I went to napa valley last jan. I love the wine brand called shelter. so i found that the guy behind shelter owns a wine shop and its called 750 wines in st helena. i highly rec calling them and making an appointment. the owner david and his wife monica will talk wine with u for some time and let u try the wine they have at the shop. they r both very nice people.