• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deathmatch - Dim Sum

johnnyd

It had been over a year since The Deathmatch Crew - a group of talented Portland chefs got together for one of their legendary cook-offs, so on June 13th, 2010, after weeks of preparation, the Iron Curtain of Secrecy was at lasted lifted for...

Deathmatch - The Reunion

Word had quietly circulated that Dim Sum was to be the theme, as directed by...

The Chairman...

IMG_0627.JPG

...and The Panda

IMG_0631.JPG

As usual, top-notch decorations were mandatory (Thank-You, Lauren!), befitting so highly esteemed a collection of cuisine creativity,

IMG_0629.JPG

...but actually, most of us were attempting things for the first time, and although a couple things didn't work out as, um... planned, everything was delicious and a fabulous time was had by all.

IMG_0735.JPG

There were twelve dishes...

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Ok, I'm waiting with baozied breath. All I see so far is a Coors Light can and a four burner electric stove. Has me worried...

Decorations are nice.

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

IMG_0654.JPG

Hosts Joe and Jon were able to find an iPhone app that programs Chinese Pop Music of questionable merit, but it set the mood perfectly.

Things got underway at the crack of Noon when Courtney arrived and started making dumplings...

IMG_0633.JPG

Dim Sum Number One:

Dumplings

Duck, Shitake, Cabbage, Soy Sauce, Mirin, Garlic, Ginger, Coriander, Chili Flakes

Seared, then steamed, which is really Japanese, so we are cheating right out of the gate here, but Deathmatch never follows the rules as regular readers already know.

IMG_0634.JPG

Suffice to say they were pretty damned good.

IMG_0684.JPG

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

Dim Sum Number One and a half

Bakuteh

Chicken, Duck and Pork broth

IMG_0644.JPG

Very restorative, and delicious

IMG_0645.JPG

The Hosts had also come up with a killer collection of teas that were imbibed throughout the day, including this curious blossom...

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

After a little while it looked like this,

IMG_0646.JPG

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

Dim Sum Number, well, three

Chinese Style Pigs In Blanket

IMG_0648.JPG

Otis and Marya whipped up some home-made Lap Cheong Little Smokies and wrapped 'em up in pork bun dough.

IMG_0647.JPG

They were served with two condiments, a special mustard, and a spicy ketchup

IMG_0674.JPG

Portland Food Map.com

Dim Sum Number Four

Leslie's Maine Shrimp Toast on Brioche

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

Maine Shrimp with Cilantro, Garlic, Scallion, Sriracha, Fish sauce, and Lard, which makes these tasty morsels puff up.

IMG_0657.JPG

These were amazing.

Portland Food Map.com

Dim Sum Number Five

Karl's Chinese Spare Ribs

IMG_0663.JPG

These were brined for seven hours in smoked Lapsang Souchong tea, then coated and re-coated with a 5 spice, Hoisin, Vinegar, Soy sauce, Mae Ploy and Worcestershire sauce

IMG_0672.JPG

Outstanding!

People were beginning to fill the kitchen as folks arrived at a steady pace all afternoon.

IMG_0638.JPG

Fortunately, samples of Dim Sum made so far were available to late-comers.

IMG_0651.JPG

...and the assortment of beer and booze was growing

IMG_0664.JPG

Portland Food Map.com

Dim Sum Number Six

Congee Three Ways

Jon's ambitious effort was most rewarding, if challenging, to the posse on hand. I caught up with Jen, who was helping prep his condiments.

There was a Soy, Black Vinegar dipping sauce,

IMG_0661.JPG

A Sambal that blew your head off,

IMG_0658.JPG

...and some preserved egg

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

Congee Number One, is a traditional congee with short-grain rice made in chicken stock and water, Number Two was a Green Mung Bean Congee, and Number Three was Black Rice with Red Dates and Pandan Leaf

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

Condiments are ready (including some pickled mustard greens),

IMG_0677.JPG

Finally, Congee hour arrived

IMG_0683.JPG

Pretty good for a Congee rookie, I'd say, not that I've had it that often, but Melissa, who is from Taiwan thought it was just fine.

[NOTE: The wonderful Jessica has more pictures which I will add later]

Portland Food Map.com

Dim Sum Number Seven

Stephen's Sticky Rice, Lemongrass Sausage wrapped in Lotus Leaf

IMG_0632.JPG

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

This dim sum was a favorite of many. It was delicious.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

Dim Sum Number Eight

Dim Sum Amerikrana

IMG_0685.JPG

Cheez Whiz Dim Sum!

IMG_0689.JPG

Kate and Josh also made red hot dog and pimento and ham dumpling

IMG_0693.JPG

Take THAT Mr. Chairman!!

IMG_0727.JPG

Portland Food Map.com

Dim Sum Numbah Nine

Pan-Fried Daikon Rice Cakes

(Melissa's Mom's Recipe)

IMG_0687.JPG

Shredded Daikon, Rice Flour, Minced Shitake, Dried mini shrimp

IMG_0691.JPG

Served with diluted thick Soy Sauce or chili sauce

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

Melissa says this is a very traditional Dim Sum Recipe.

I believe her.

IMG_0699.JPG

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

Dim Sum Number Ten

Pieper's Pig Head Soup Dumplings

IMG_0692.JPG

Robert simmered a pig's head for about thirty hours, extracting an eventually gelatinous broth and a quantity of delicious meat. He added 5 Spice, Soy Sauce, Chinese Cooking Wine and Cabbage.

Although the dough wrapping made the dumplings kind of stick together at the steaming stage, this was by far my favorite flavor of the day.

Dim Sum Number Eleven

Chinese Style Honey BBQ Pork Stuffed Puff Pastry

IMG_0703.JPG

These were extraordinary, as expected. Not just because anything with honey or BBQ involved is delicious by default, but because Joel decided on using a French Puff Pastry recipe by his co-worker, Atsuko Fujimoto, instead of a typical lard-based chinese dough.

And anything with butter is, again, delicious by default

Portland Food Map.com

Dim Sum Number Twelve

Nolan's Deep Fried Shrimp Balls

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0711.JPG

Served with a Spicy Salt and Mustard Sauce

IMG_0710.JPG

Freaking incredibly good!

Dim Sum Number Thirteen

Brad's Egg Custard Tarts

IMG_0712.JPG

A Lard Pastry with Condensed Milk, 5 Spice and Onion Seed. Very subtle little item here.

He also has my favorite T shirt...

IMG_0713.JPG

Portland Food Map.com

So things began to wind down, food-wise, but heated up as more booze was consumed and the music got louder.

New friends were made...

IMG_0726.JPG

...and lost,

IMG_0751.JPG

but the best part is that we were together again, having a great time. It had been a year for chrissakes. Thanks for checking out another Deathmatch Crew extravaganza! See you long time!

IMG_0656.JPG

NOTES:

A less PG-rated report of the evening can be found at the notorious Portland Food Coma

www.portlandfoodcoma.blogspot.com

Also, another report with audio from the dinner (including a kicking soundtrack), these, and more pictures will be featured, at Portland Cooks, in about a week.

www.portlandcooks.posterous.com

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

Amazing line-up, as usual. I'm dreaming of the shrimp toasts and balls, pigs in a blanket, and daikon rice cakes, but chances are good the idea I'll steal is the bbq pork in puff pastry.

A less PG-rated report of the evening can be found at the notorious Portland Food Coma

www.portlandfoodcoma.blogspot.com

Well, thank God for that. The food looks delicious, but the blow-by-blow seemed more muted than your previous reports!

Great job--you all rock.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish