• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lake Garda

christm

Hi

I'm heading to a small place called Nago which is nearly Torbole on Lake Garda on Monday. I'll have a car so am looking to get away from the tourist parts of the lake to find good authentic Italian food in the surrounding area. Can anyone sugggest places to try?

Many thanks

Martin

Hi. Yes I know that place. Was more interested in places away from the lake that would be less tourist orientated. For example, last time we were recommended a place called Osteria Le Servite by a local (www.leservite.com) which was a 20 min drive away from the lake.

Thanks

Martin

Had couple of good meals last week at Albergo Silvio in Bellagio website .

It's a family run place and, because the family include fishermen, it is a good spot for lake fish. Prices are decent, especially the wines, and the view from the terrace over the lake towards Cadenabbia is memorable.

• 1 month later...

We stayed in Lake Garda (near Gardone Riviera and Salo) for several days recently and found an abolute gem.

Il Bagnolo is an Agriturismo with an attached restaurant that serves both who stay there as well as diners. At the time we were there, they were offering a 3-course meal (Pasta, Meat and Dessert) for Euro 25. A wine list with a selection from the surrounding area is very good value.

What I found remarkable was that everything that we ate - all the bread, grissini, pasta, meat, vegetables, dairy - was produced on the Il Bagnolo farm itself. This is reflected in the fact that the menu changes every day (meal?) and is narrated by Antonia rather than written down anywhere. Between my wife, daughter and I, we tried pretty much all the choices that they had to offer.

Tagliolini and Pappardelle with ragu (different combinations : half-beef and half-veal or rabbit) and Ravioli with gorgonzola, zucchini and cream sauce were between good and outstanding. A Tagliolini with a non-tomato based ragu of rabbit was probably the best dish of pasta I have ever eaten. A unusual Basil-based Lasagne was also very good.

The meat courses were a bit variable: a Tagliata (beef sirloin) with oven roated tomatoes was superb and simple. A braised dish of beef "Manzo all'olio" less so. I had never tried Vitello Tonnato (a classic veal dish) before and have no point of comparison, but found it tasty with a pronounced tuna flavour.

The Dolci (desserts) - Torta (cake) al limone and one with orange marmalade were good as were the Tiramisu and Gelato.

I urge you to try Il Bagnolo if you are around - remarkably good honest cooking, locally sourced seasonal ingredients, reasonably priced wine list. Everything that is good about Italian cuisine and food culture.

Edited by thampik (log)