• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Robb Walsh going into the restaurant business

brucesw

Robb Walsh, who recently left the Houston Press after 10 years as it's restaurant critic, has announced he's going to be a partner in a new restaurant venture. Author of such books as Legends of Texas BBQ, considered the Bible of Texas bbq by many, and a Tex-Mex Cookbook, he's teaming up with Bryan Caswell and Bill Floyd (Reef, Little Bigs and Stella Sola) for a Tex-Mex eatery in Montrose, to be housed in a 1940s era art deco theater house that was recently vacated by a Hollywood Video. Preservationists are glad the facade of the theater (which was the site of the world premier of the stage musical Best Little Whorehouse in Texas in the 1970s in it's live venue days) will be maintained.

Walsh has been a fervent defender of Tex Mex cuisine and though I don't eat a lot of Tex-Mex, I'll be looking forward to this one. Should be interesting with Walsh's presumed insistence on authenticity and Caswell and Floyd's bent on taking new approaches.

The breaking news

That's a great and interesting piece of news. Robb should be declared a Texas Culinary Treasure. He covers both the "authentic" side of things and new interpretations, so I'll look forward to what comes of this partnership.