• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinchon - Spanish Anis

Mike S.

Just picked up two interesting-looking bottles of Anis Liqueur from Spain called "Chinchon", one labeled "Dulce" (sweet) and bottled at 70 proof, the other "Seco" (dry) at 86 proof. Anyone ever heard of this stuff and/or tried it? I suppose I'm feeling sorry for myself for missing out on the last bottles of White Label Ojen sold in the last year or so at Martin Wine Cellar in New Orleans, and I'm looking for something a bit closer to Ojen than, say, MB Anisette (not that there's anything wrong with MB Anisette) for use in Ojen Frappes....

Cheers,

Mike

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."

- Bogart

Well, they are both outstanding and miles better than MB Anisette, which is sweet enough to taste like anise-flavored simple syrup to me. Even the Dulce is far drier than the MB, and much more complex with layers of flavor. The Seco is even better, nice and dry but still a liqueur (i.e., it's not like absinthe tasted neat). Both make an amazing Ojen (or rather Chinchon) Frappe -- see http://looka.gumbopages.com/2008/12/31/ojen-frappe/ for history and recipe -- and best may be the two combined (about 1.5 oz of the Seco and .5 oz of the Dulce). Very good stuff!

Cheers,

Mike

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."

- Bogart