• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Offal Appetizers

Peter the eater

I'll eat just about anything once.

I generally enjoy the unusual textures and flavors of the various organ meats and neglected bits from our food animals. Many of these items, I suspect, are best served in small portions.

Below is what I brought to my Darts League Year-end Potluck on the weekend: lamb tongue and sweetbreads on a toothpick with a half grape tomato and home-made mint sauce. It didn't go over very well, although I thought it was rather awesome.

Any good examples out there?

img_0036.jpg

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

This is very simple but maybe roasted bone marrow on toast with sea salt and black pepper

Love it, great example. Made it a few weeks ago with roasted veggies:

gallery_42214_6390_107190.jpg

Moe Sizlack

The Black Hoof in Toronto is an especially good place for offal. But Toronto's in a chacuterie/offal type faze right now.

Butter-poached brains from The Black Hoof

4676752500_66f2105c1e.jpg

Bone marrow from The Hoof Café

4206715908_f7dc38afd7.jpg

Fried coxcomb from The Black Hoof

4402857350_5cd54008f1.jpg

Head cheese (and other other piggy bits) from Earth

4170837388_2b337fedf7.jpg

Edited by jenc (log)

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

I generally enjoy the unusual textures and flavors of the various organ meats and neglected bits from our food animals. Many of these items, I suspect, are best served in small portions.

Sorry man offal should be consumed in mass quantities.

And here's my pic. Tacos de molleja (sweetbread).

IMG_2032v2.jpg

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Jenc, those images are excellent. Would those be calf brains, like cervelle?

Perhaps, but wouldn't a 22oz rib-eye would go down more easily than a 22oz kidney? Love those tacos.

Moe Sizlack

As we have discussed before in topics about retro foods, I think rumaki qualifies as offal that pleases across generations and tastes. Generally chicken or duck liver marinated in a sweetened ginger soy sauce mix. Chunk of liver, slice of water chesnut, wrapped in bacon, toothpicked and broiled till crispy. People who would not touch a liver entree sneak more than their fair share.

Perhaps, but wouldn't a 22oz rib-eye would go down more easily than a 22oz kidney?

Yes. I was one of very few in my culinary school class that would even try kidneys, I really enjoyed them, but small quantities are much better.

My favorite offal is sweetbreads, fried, roasted, braised...it all works for me.

Just picked some up from ottomanellis a few days ago, should be done pressing tomorrow. Its kind of hard to eat an entire heart lobe sweetbread by yourself, I will have to find someone to share with.

mmm... brains? This is a preparation we had last year at the Al Mazar restaurant in Beirut. Sauteed in clarified butter and roasted. In the background, raw lamb liver and tail fat.

brains.jpg

Brain close-up

brains2.jpg

How do we know it was an appetizer? This was the main course :biggrin:.

masareen.jpg

Same summer

Lungs, liver, spleen and sweetbreads kit:

205_0511.jpg

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3274.jpg

ChefCrash, those items are spectacular, thanks.

About the LLSS kit, is there much chopping away, srcaping or soaking? I don't see a trachea cooking but the stuff on the skewer looks fairly as-is.

Moe Sizlack

The Mollejas al Champagne I enjoyed at Restaurante Palacio Espanol in Buenos Aires were pretty awesome.

tn_gallery_7409_6855_106497.jpg

Sweetbreads, shrimp and mushrooms in a Champagne Cream sauce. Best Surf and Turf ever! I wonder if it couldn't be recreated on a skewer or toothpick for hors d'oeuvres? It would certainly make a delicious appetizer in a smaller portion than I had. In fact, it's so rich it might be better enjoyed that way!

On a side note, Palacio Espanol is one of the prettiest restaurants I've ever dined in.

med_gallery_7409_6855_565059.jpg

One forgets how nice it is to dine properly - with uniformed tailcoat wearing waiters, exquisite surroundings, fine china and crystal, impeccable service and well dressed patrons. A bit too formal for everyday, but a welcome experience when one makes a conscious choice to do so. It's civilizing to do that once in a while.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol