• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who Else Loves Argentine Wine?

The Food Buster

had the Clos de los Siete 2006 whilst watching Argentina in the football world cup last night. I Really rated it, so have ordered bottles Don Triburcio and Juan Benegas (thanks Katie) which I await with some excitement.

I see Bressia also do a Royale a sparkling wine, has anyone tried that?

I seem to be the only one obsessing about Argentinian wine, on here!

More wine Katie kindly recommended. The Don Tiburcio is breathing and I am wondering how it will compare to the strong fruit ripeness of the Clos de los Siete.

Loved the Bressia Profoundo on a hot Saturday night (yes the English do have a fleeting summer). And even found myself searching for flights to Mendoza; Santiago in Chile is nearer and cheaper than B.A. but is it easy to cross into Argentina?

L1020563.JPG

And even found myself searching for flights to Mendoza; Santiago in Chile is nearer and cheaper than B.A. but is it easy to cross into Argentina?

very easy. most people prefer flying though. takes up to 9 hours by bus, and from what i have read/heard 1/3 of it is wasted at passport control on Chilean side which is a pain.

i'm going to do the reverse Mendoza-Santiago via Los Caracoles through the Andes. having survived countless death-trap bus rides in China on 3 trips Los Caracoles looks quite normal, actually. (i did cross into Chile from Argentinian Patagonia.... they don't even look at your face or passport photo to see if it's really you who owns the passport. they are only concerned about this one specific thing.)

enjoy your Argentinian wine. that's what i mostly drink ever since i returned from Argentina in mid January. (par excellence!)

taken, nabbed and willfully abducted by these fantastic wines I returned like a crack whore to source early this morn.

Bought three more I haven't tried. A Pulenta Cab Sav, a Bressia Syrah & a Pulenta La Flor Cab Sav too. They had sold out of the Bressia Profoundo, which was a real shame, that wine will stay with me a long time.

Currently got a Pulenta Gran Corte 2006 soaking up the o2

L1020576.JPG

Edited by adey73 (log)

Had the Pulenta Gran Corte last night and excellent it was too.

Puzzled as to why it needs a triple thickness bottle that weighs 1.2kg empty.

At 15% ABV was very alcoholic and as I became more addled, I started trying to compare it to the Bressia Profoundo that I had last week. I think the Bressia was marginally ahead, can't quite tell you why.

Drank a bottle of the Juan Benegas 2007 Malbec last night with dinner at a BYOB restaurant. It was a little big for my arugula, fresh fig and goat cheese salad, but it was nonetheless quite delicious. I'm still favoring the Don Tiburcio by a margin, only because as I mentioned upthread, I'm finding the blends so well balanced and lovely. But for a 100% Malbec, the Juan Benegas is one of the better examples I've had that is fairly readily available. Actually I like Adey's suggestion of drinking these with big cheeses. Sounds fabulous!

DaleJ, glad you're enjoying the Clos de los Siete. That's my new favorite. At least for the moment... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was distinctly underwhelmed by the Pulenta La Flor, it tasted indistinguishable from the many Oz Cab Savs that are on the market here in the UK.

But enjoyed this thunderous tipple last night.

I beseech you to track a bottle of Benegas Libertad Malbec down.

IMG_0005.JPG

Edited by adey73 (log)

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to be the only one answering in the affirmative to this topics question.

So here are a few more recent acquisitions...

L1020582.JPG

The Pinot Gris is a lovely zesty glass as Katie said, but haven't tried the rest.

But this one excites me a lot and is too good to drink, to my mind, at the moment.

L1020584.JPG

Where is everyone round here, this wine is fantastic?