• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who Else Loves Argentine Wine?

The Food Buster

Hey Guys,

When I traveled through South America, I had the chance to taste some of the best wines I've ever tasted. In the US, though, it seems that Argentine Wine isn't all that appreciated, and we rarely receive any of the best selections.

Do any of you share that same passion?

Edmund Mokhtarian

Food and Wine Blogger

http://www.thefoodbuster.com

Agreed, but I am slightly biased as my parents grew up there. Their exports have been improving, but I still feel that the best wines and values (not to mention the food!) are to be had in Argentina itself.

Do you have any particular favorites, Edmund?

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

First, I have to say that I totally agree that the best finds are in Argentina itself. I've found so many phenomenal wines in Buenos Aires that I'd have to get shipped from some random wine shop half-way across the nation, if possible.

As for my favorites, I'd have to say anything by Bressia stands as #1. Particularly, the Monteagrelo is my favorite Malbec, and probably the best Malbec for the buck I could find. The Conjuro is also my favorite Argentine wine. And I'm dying to try the new Ultima Hoja, Bressia's new super-icon level wine, with only 800 bottles produced and a retail price of about 300 US$ (i.e. it's the second most expensive Argentine wine, and that in its first year of bottling!).

Probably the other great value I've seen is in Pulenta Estate. I'm a huge fan of the icon-level Gran Corte, which is much better than most icons that cost even twice as much.

A few more honorable mentions: the Las Perdices Malbec Ice (the only good dessert wine I tasted in Argentina), the Zuccardi Q Tempranillo, the O'Fournier A Cruxes, and the Achaval Ferrer Altamira.

What about with you? What are your favorites? I'm always looking for more Argentine wines to review for my site.

Edmund Mokhtarian

Food and Wine Blogger

Oh, and I was also wondering, if you had a good provider for Argentine wines in America. I just can't seem to find a reliable retailer, and I'm always stuck buying low-end Malbecs by wineries like Norton (which I absolutely can't stand).

Edited by The Food Buster (log)

Edmund Mokhtarian

Food and Wine Blogger

Yup the cheap ones can be bad but three good ones come to my mind: Kaiken Ultra, Trapiche Medalla & Broquel and Ricardo Santos malbec. I would still say these are priced in the 25-40 dollar range... still reasonable. Try to find the ones you like at wine searcher I am sure it's there. we had a selection of these wines at an Argentinian parrillada where a whole calf, goat and rabbits were roasted on a spit. Bread was even baked twined on metal poles beside the fire. Wow is all i can say but i am digressing.

I'm a plant-rights activist... I only eat meat!

I see that you're in DC, so I'm surprised that you said you "can't seem to find a reliable retailer." There are several very good ones in the area, for example, MacArthur Beverages. (I don't live in DC, but my wine-savvy cousins do, so when I visit we sometimes go on a wine hunt.)

BTW, I recently picked up a case of the 2007 Fabre Montmayou Malbec Gran Reserva (92 points from Wine Advocate), a bargain at $180 on a direct import sale.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

The problem is that I move around a lot, so I never really get to know all the vendors in an area.

Moreover, while some retailers will carry a couple top-notch Argentine wines, it's very hard to find a decent Argentine wine collection. I'm in LA right now, and I can barely find 20 different Argentine wines at probably the best wine retailer in the area, which carries literally thousands and thousands of wines. And those wines all come from the same guys you always see: Achaval Ferrer, Catena Zapata, and a couple others.

Unfortunately, Wine-searcher is probably the best choice, and to get any single wine, I'd probably have to get it shipped from somewhere across the nation.

And Alex, nice deal on the Fabre Montmayou! I've never had it, but I'd also have jumped on a deal like that.

Edmund Mokhtarian

Food and Wine Blogger

Check out the web-site for Southern Hemisphere Wine for a great selection of Argentine wine.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Having just spent four days in Mendoza in April, I can certainly recommend some fabulous Argentine wines. My wonderful tour guide took me to a wide variety of wineries, from huge industrial level places like Salentien, to medium sized wineries that export to the States like Andeluna Cellars, to tiny boutique wineries likeBodega La Azul and Domaine San Diego whose production levels are so small that very little or none of their wines ever make it to the USA. It was quite enlightening, to say the least. And for all the fuss about 100% Malbec, I found the red blends to be the most luscious and interesting wines I tried. The Don Tiburcio from Bodegas Benegas was a ridiculous bargain for the caliber of wine in the glass. And I tried some interesting whites as well. A Pinot Gris at Pulenta Estates really made me sit up and think. I had a truly glorious lunch sitting out in the sunshine at Bodega Ruca Malen in the shadow of the Andes. Truly some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen. Here's a look:

med_gallery_7409_6854_614931.jpg

med_gallery_7409_6854_525178.jpg

tn_gallery_7409_6854_976491.jpg

I enjoyed some really lovely wines and got the low down on the wines at each winery as well as the industry in general in Mendoza from some of the nicest and most passionate professionals I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. Mendoza reminds me of what Napa Valley must've been like in the early 1970's, before it got all commercial and touristy. You can't just wander in/pull up in a bus to the wineries and get a tour/tasting. You have to have appointments set up in advance. Here's where a good guide comes in. Ariel, my marvelous remise/driver was received as family everywhere we went, and hence, so was I. I had personal private 1 on 1 tours at many of the wineries we visited and basically got the red carpet treatment everywhere we went. It was well worth hiring someone with those connections and expertise to show me around. My trip to Mendoza would never have been the same without his guidance. For anyone considering a trip to explore Mendoza, I can't stress enough having someone there with the connections to get you in to the wineries and to show you places that might not necessarily have hit your radar because the production may not be at levels that allow export. I learned so much in such a short time frame. I had a stupendous meal out seemingly in the middle of nowhere at a gorgeous architect designed restaurant/hotel (Tupungato Divino) that had an organic garden right outside the kitchen door where they grew their own produce that would make Alice Waters herself weep with joy. There's great wine in Argentina. And astonishing food at a level of gastronomy that I know they don't get credit for. I hesitate to say it was a once in a lifetime experience because I'm already planning to return as soon as I'm able.

Yes. I love Argentine wine.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Katie, I'm glad you've been able to experience Mendoza for yourself. I had very much the same type of experience you did--one that was almost picture perfect, where I really gained a new understanding of the culture and its potential impact in the wine world.

The Argentine food and wine scene is something you really just can't appreciate until you get out there and see it for yourself. I had the chance to take tours of pretty much every major region near Mendoza. I was impressed not only by the quality of some of the bold Malbecs, but also the red blends, which showed a respect for balance that you really don't see all that often. And the restaurants were incredible. Dining in a winery, overlooking beautiful lakes and vineyards--that's the life in my book.

Again, thanks for sharing with us. I'd also like to hear some of your other favorite wines, if you remember any.

Edmund Mokhtarian

Food and Wine Blogger

I'm a bit busy over the next few days. But I'll dig out my well notated trip journal as soon as I'm able and be more specific. I'll try and upload some more more photos as well. In the meanwhile, check out the photos at the Tupungato Divino link above and enjoy. It's so beautiful there it makes my heart ache. I don't believe I've ever seen a sky so clear or breathed air so clean and fresh. The vineyards in those photos are already at an altitude of approximately 2500-3000 feet above sea level. The mountains in the background are at twice that. You're in the middle of a desert plateau miles away from any form of air or light pollution. The night sky is so beautiful it will literally take your breath away. And I'd forgotten that there are different constellations there! Looking up and seeing the Southern Cross for the first time rather than seeking the Big Dipper was quite awe inspiring.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Lol, you should have been an advertising agent for the Argentine wineries. Your description is making my heart pound.

But I do know what you mean. The country is so raw, so natural, practically everywhere you go (except Buenos Aires). And traveling between the regions of Mendoza, you get to see so much variety. The more leafy, green areas directly in Mendoza's vicinity, the higher, sparser Uco Valley, the lakes and forests in the area (ideal for mountaineering, rafting, and all sorts of other activities)--It is all awe-inspiring in my opinion.

If the wine weren't good enough, the scenery would make all the difference. I need to take a cue from you and plan my return trip as well.

I'm looking forward to your notes!

Edmund Mokhtarian

Food and Wine Blogger

Edmund:

If only someone would pay me for the purple prose, LOL. But seriously, the bit about the sky and the stars is the honest truth. I was in a place for the first time in my life that had no pollution of any sort. I looked up and it was as if the clouds parted and the chorus of angels burst into song. One of those "AH-HA!" moments that happen so infrequently in life. I'd never seen a sky like that before, and then having all that book learning about the Southern Hemisphere suddenly make sense was somewhat overwhelming. I really got it. It was very cool.

There's so much left of Argentina for me to explore I can hardly wait. I missed going glacier hiking in El Calafate, missed the penguins and whale watching in Valdez Peninsula because they'd already migrated north, going to Iguazu Falls, Barriloche, etc. There are several more trips in my future to see all that I couldn't squeeze into my first visit.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

ab.so.lute.ly! so much that i'm returning for another 6 weeks next spring and this time it will mostly be within the border of Mendoza.

i drank so much Malbec and Pinot Noir there during my 6 week visit, but next time i am going try more Tannat as well. had it once or twice and i quite liked it. then maybe i'll have to visit Uruquay in the future... [Tannat is Uruguay's national grape].

what a wondrous country that is Argentina!

I can add a note for a wine I purchased here on the advice of the wine manager of one of my favorite shops. I drank this last night. 2007 Clos de los Siete is a big luscious wine that reminds me of a sexier more voluptuous Bordeaux. A blend of 48% Malbec, 28% Merlot, 12% Syrah, and 12% Cabernet Sauvignon. 2/3rds of the wine is aged for 11 months in 100% new French oak. It was around $16 and drank like a wine at four times the price. The Clos de los Siete is a really interesting project. It's a consortium of seven Bordelaise winemakers/consultants that got together to try and explore the possibilities that Argentina had to offer to the wine world. Article about Clos de los Siete is HERE if you wish to read more about it. Certainly all the various names behind the project are well respected and well known. Seems a good place to start with gorgeous perfect weather, good vines and good technique, no? The Clos de los Siete brand is sourced from all of the various vineyards. All their wines seem to score highly in all the respected rankings. I'm going to have to hunt down some of the other labels as well - Val de Flores, Monteviejo, Mariflor, Lindaflor, Altamira, Flechas de los Andes, and Los Dassos are the individual wineries that produce wine under their own labels. I suspect these are worthy of seeking out as well.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

DaleJ:

:blush: I'm flattered you trust my judgement and palate so implicitly. I hope you enjoy the wine. Please raise a glass for me and I'll be there with you in spirit. :smile:

On my home front, I've located the 2007 Clos de los Siete for $13.33/btl. at a nearby store in a neighboring state that I will be driving right past tomorrow afternoon on my way to a friend's graduation party. Woo-hoo! I just called the store to confirm it's in stock and it seems that they'll honor that online price for me as long as I let the cashier know. The on the shelf price is $16.99 which sounds close to what I paid for the single bottle I had purchased at another store close to the one I'll be purchasing from tomorrow. I asked why the price differential and the salesperson told me it's because the online prices have to compete nationally. This might be a new bargain hunting technique to keep in my back pocket for future reference.

BonVivantNL - Tannat is also the grape of Madiran, from the infamous "French Paradox" experiment that showed why those Foie-Gras-and-cheese-eating-2-pack-a-day-Gauloise-smoking Frenchmen had such a low incidence of heart disease, counter-intuitively to what one might expect. Tannat is good stuff. Think of it as a delicious liquid statin pill... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I've been down the booze shop today too (if only egullet inspired costs were tax deductible)

Couldn't find the Pinot Gris mentioned but did get a Sauv Blanc and a 2006 Clos de los Siete

L1020557.JPG

adey73: Torrontés. Torrontés. Torrontés. i long for Salta... but that's another trip on its own :)

KL, Tannat never makes it here in food hell :( i also drink Bonarda (besides Malbec and Pinot). re: the French paradox i think it is pretty much the same case in Arg. speaking of which, does anyone know where i can eat foie gras in BA/Mendoza? :D

ps: some photos of my first week in Arg. just in case anyone interested. buen provecho!

adey73:

Yum! You scored a whole mess of delicious wines there. The Clos de los Siete you have is the 2006 that I can't speak to personally. I'm guessing the 2007 is the most recent release and you found one from the prior vintage where you are. Pulenta Estates was so lovely and the tour couldn't have been more personal. Here's what you see on the way in the driveway:

tn_gallery_7409_6854_1217213.jpg

Then walking up to the front entrance is this lovely archway and view of the vineyards:

tn_gallery_7409_6854_1667569.jpg

Since it was the midst of the harvest, I got a good look at the vineyard workers sorting the grapes. If I recall correctly, that day they were harvesting Syrah.

tn_gallery_7409_6854_51650.jpg

My private tasting was down in the cellars. Although the picture is a bit dark and viewed through the glass, I think you can make out how grand and well appointed the tasting cellars are there:

tn_gallery_7409_6854_139358.jpg

My lovely hostesses, Andrea and Soledad showed me around and let me taste some delicious wines. Here we are at the end of my tasting tour:

tn_gallery_7409_6854_1600073.jpg

I was really impressed with how modern the winery at Pulenta Estates was. They really took their work seriously there and it showed in the wines.

The Pinot Gris I alluded to upthread was a 2009. Really clean and fresh flavor. I loved this and I'm a complete sucker for a good Pinot Gris. I just didn't know they even grew Pinot Gris in Mendoza until my taste at Pulenta Estates. The winery also produces a "Joven", or young line of wines called La Flor that includes a Malbec, a Cabernet, a Sauvignon Blanc and a Malbec Rose that was really delicious. I love good pink wine that's well balanced and the thick skins on the Malbec gave the wine a really deep rich color and flavor.

The highlight of my tasting at Pulenta Estate was a little tiny taste of an "experimental" wine - a 2006 Chardonnay-Semillon Late Harvest barrel sample. The wine spent three years in oak and was primarily Chardonnay with a small percentage of grapes with botrytis. It was like nectar. The winemaker happened to wander by while I was tasting and asked my opinion as to whether it was marketable. I told him to round up as much of those grapes as he was able and just forge ahead. It was like a good Sauternes or Tokai. Sweet without being one dimensional and with many layers of flavors including that funk of botrytis that just can't be replicated other than through sheer luck.

Pulenta Estate is a winery well worth exploring. Both in person and through the wines if you can't be fortunate enough to get there first hand.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

WOW, metaphorically kissed clenched finger tips over the Bressia Monteagrelo Malbec last night.

What a fantastic bottle of wine!

Thanks for pointing me in it's well deserved direction.

Recently a mate bought a St Emilion Grand Cru for idiocy-inducing-large-cash that wasn't good enough to keep the pallete let alone the mind alive. For that underserved sum he could have bought a few bottles of this without the punch on the wallet and the epic buyers remorse.

Any more recommendations please keep them coming.

Katie did you get to keep the wines in the presentation box?

Edited by adey73 (log)

I am officially jealous of you, adey73.

Not only did you get two Bressias, but you got that Pulenta Estate Gran Corte. Very, very nice selection of wines you have there. I've had pretty much the whole lot except for the Clos de los Siete, and I'm pretty sure you're not going to be disappointed at all.

I'm also glad you enjoyed the Monteagrelo--it's one of those wines that I find myself returning to time and time again. Tell me how everything else goes.

By the way, where'd you pick up the wines? I haven't seen Bressia anywhere in the Los Angeles vicinity, and I might try to track your seller down and get some bottles shipped here.

Edmund Mokhtarian

Food and Wine Blogger

Katie did you get to keep the wines in the presentation box?

I wish! But sadly, no. I think the presentation box was decor in the winery foyer. I found that shipping wine back was prohibitively expensive, and trying to check a box as a second piece of luggage would have been a real chore, having to get the box from Mendoza to airport, from B.A. airport to hotel and then back again to bring home. Way more trouble than I was willing to go to traveling alone. And I already had two pieces of checked luggage, so I wasn't going to push it. I figured I was coming home with a head full of new knowledge about and experience with Mendoza wines and wineries and that would have to suffice for my wine shopping expeditions back home. And in fact it did. I was searching for a bottle of Bodegas Benegas Don Tiburcio, a wine I'd tried and loved in Mendoza, and the shop was out of it. The salesperson suggested the Clos de los Siete as a replacement until it came in. I never would have tried that wine had it not fallen into my lap. Interestingly, Michel Rolland, the principal at Clos de los Siete is listed as Winemaker Consultant for the Don Tiburcio. I don't know if the salesperson was aware of that or if it was coincidence, but they are certainly both very well balanced red blends of a certain style that most definitely appeals to my palate.

Having looked at my wine journal notes for my trip to Pulenta Estates, I see that my notes about the La Flor line shows that the wines spend 4-6 months in oak, hence the "Joven" designation. I tried the 2008 La Flor Cabernet and wrote that it was fruity, but balanced. I also tried the 2007 Pulenta XI Gran Cabernet Franc. Only 7000 bottles were made. Absolutely HUGE bell pepper in the nose and palate. Really soft tannins. One of the most delicious Cab Francs I've tasted. Worth checking out if you can find one of those elusive bottles.

To see other photos of Pulenta Estates click on the link and then check out the slide shows on the vineyard and winery sections of the website. You can see how modern and sleek the stainless steel and concrete fermentation tanks are as well as the glorious scenery and stunning architecture of the winery.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Edmund, am a long way from LA, I am in the North of England.

I am fortunate to be just 40minutes away from one of the best (if not the best),

independent wine shops in the UK. There's a 3rd room (the one displayed is all Fench) following on that is well stocked with the recommendations you've all kindly made.

Katie thanks for that, am definitely on the hunt for the 2007 Pulenta XI Gran Cabernet Franc though google tells me theren't any in the UK.

Has anyone had the Bodega Benegas Juan Benegas and how does that compare to the Don Tiburcio?

Byrne.jpg

L1010410.JPG.

Edited by adey73 (log)