• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Lebanese restaurants in the UK

Unfortunately, not a thing in my part of the world, so the following ideas are all London:

Ishbilia, Knightsbridge.

Noura, Mayfair

And, perhaps not quite up to the others, I also like the various offerings from Maroush which has a number of outlets around Edgware Road. Maroush 3 is probably the nicest.

If you're looking for something more "back street", I can offer you a couple of Manchester places.

John Hartley

• 2 months later...

To be honest, I have issues about front-of-house with Ishbilia - although not the food, which I thought very good.

I dined there, alone, based on a recc on another board (Chowhound) on a 2008 trip to London. It's fairly upmarket so I was somewhat surprised that my table was, literally, touching the adjacent occupied table. When asked for it to be moved, it was. Literally an inch. So, there I was - almost part of the other group for the time I was there. I felt uncomfortable.

The other issue was the speed of service. It was unpleasantly brisk and I was out on the street in something like 45 minutes.

My reason for resurrecting the thread is that we have another trip to 't Smoke in a few weeks and was thinking of going back to Noura, which has never disappointed, or seeing what else might be around.

John Hartley

Sorry John we never did get to a Lebanese. We looked at lots of menus but the other half is rather conservative and he can't stand couscous! A Lebanese cookery writer did an article for me instead.

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

I walked by Ishbilia yesterday and decided against it because of the dining room. It looks like it wants to be upscale, but doesn't have all the components together yet. I guess that makes little sense. But Harters review explains it!! His experience was my worst fear about it!

I walked by Noura and it's more like a cafe/deli. I'd like to try it.

I tried a place on King's Rd. Al-Dar? I think? It was hideous. The people were very nice though!

I think you are right, Ambra. The dining room is small and the tables are close together, but luckily I have mainly been there for lunch or an early dinner, and it's never been a problem. You used the word, 'yet,' but I'm sure the owners have no desire to change things in the near future and I'm not sure they are trying to appear 'upscale,' despite the neighbourhood.

Luckily, London has lots of place to choose from.